Sunday, May 3, 2020

Songs Of The Week, 2020: 4/25-5/1



These Boots Are Made For Walkin'- Symarip
Party Doll- Bryan Ferry
No Matter What You Do- Lesley Gore
Working Girl- The Members
Jennings Farm Blues (Rough Mix)- Led Zeppelin
9 Volt Heart- The Iguanas
Blue- the Jayhawks

zip

These Boots Are Made For Walkin'- Symarip
I sold a copy of Symarip's "Skinhead Moonstomp" and gave it a spin before sending it on its way. This cover stayed with me.

Party Doll- Bryan Ferry
Ferry's "In Your Mind" was one of my recent Instagram "Vinyl Of The Day" posts. It's currently my favorite solo Ferry record and "Party Doll" is a favorite track.

No Matter What You Do- Lesley Gore
This popped up on the ol' iPod this week. It's from the "My Town, My Guy & Me" album, and I strongly suggest giving Lesley Gore's later records a spin, especially this album and "California Nights" from 1965 and 1967 respectively. Both are really strong throughout and not just hit singles with some weak filler.

Working Girl- The Members
A fave record of the 80's. Not sure why this one came to mind, but I was happy to include it.

Jennings Fam Blues (Rough Mix)- Led Zeppelin
From the "companion" LP to Led Zeppelin's "III," I love this slinky groove even if it is unfinished.

9 Volt Heart- The Iguanas
Today would have been the last day of New Orleans Jazz Fest, and listening to archival broadcasts on WWOZ has really helped me get over not being there. Today's lineup is not to be missed, so check it out. A highlight of the fest is seeing The Iguanas perform their regular Wednesday night gig at The Circle Bar. This year, they did a live stream from member Joe Cabral's porch and it really hit the spot. This track was a highlight. If you dig it, the album is called "Plastic Silver 9-Volt Heart" and it is one of my favorite New Orleans records of them all, and certainly The Iguanas best.

Blue- The Jayhawks
Bought some Jayhawks records this week. So...here's "Blue."







7 comments:

hpunch said...

Love the photo!!

pmac said...

sal - the Iguanas will be doing a concert vis a facebook stream on Cinco de Mayo!

JAYESSEMM said...

Very nice -- Thanks Sal.

The challenge for today is to enjoy the first really nice weather of the season yet not interact with anyone -- WTF!


neal t said...

Great title track also available on one of the co-writer Dave Alvin's CD

Troy said...

Love The Iguanas and love The Jayhawks!!

dogbreath said...

Thanks for the zip, lots to enjoy in the mix especially the Ferry & Gore tunes. And it made me hunt out Symarip's "Skinhead Girl" track too - ah, those were the days - Cheers!

Bill said...

This post sent me back to In Your Mind for the first time in many a year. And I'm glad I took another listen. I like this version of Ferry's sound--rocking and melodic. Although, if push comes to shove, I think I'd say Frantic is my favorite of his solo albums.