Sunday, December 6, 2020

Songs Of The Week, 2020: 11/28-12/4

 


 

When The Levee Breaks- Stanton Moore Trio
Inca Roads- Frank Zappa
Knife Edge- Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Posed By Models- Young Marble Giants
She Got Me (When She Got Her Dress On)- Masters Of Reality
Big Black Smoke- The Kinks
Who Can I Be Now- David Bowie

zip

When The Levee Breaks- Stanton Moore Trio
This swampy New Orleans take was first released in the wake of Katrina, and it felt almost hymn-like at the time. I was reminded of it again as I watch the daily struggles of, not just the musicians of New Orleans, but everywhere, as they do anything they could to survive this pandemic. Sorry, not the happiest way to begin, but a great, great tune nonetheless. I can't help the way my mind works.

Inca Roads- Frank Zappa
I went on a mini Zappa binge (in my head, at least) after watching Alex Winter's excellent new Zappa documentary. This is one of my favorites from one of my favorites, "One Size Fits All."

Knife Edge- Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Been listing a lot of records for sale in my Discogs shop---hint hint--- with more to be added from a new incoming collection that's arriving this week. Came across the first ELP and decided to give it a spin. It held up!

Posed By Models- Young Marble Giants
A new deluxe edition of the YMG record has just been released. It's definitely not for everyone, I get that. But I have always loved it, and this song just might be for everyone. It's short and sweet and lovely and a few other things, all wrapped up in less than two minutes.

She Got Me (When She Got Her Dress On)- Masters Of Reality
This recent Black Friday RSD saw a first time vinyl edition for "Sunrise On The Sufferbus." Masters Of Reality have a bunch of records, but none as memorable to my ears as "Sufferbus." I give all the credit to drummer Ginger Baker!

Big Black Smoke- The Kinks
Not sure why I've been singing this one for days, but I had to get it out of my system, so here it is.

Who Can I Be Now- David Bowie
From "The Gouster," which was shelved, reworked and finally released as "Young Americans." You can now get "The Gouster" as originally conceived as part of the "Five Years" boxed set series. I never loved "Young Americans," but I do love this track.

3 comments:

A Walk In The Woods said...

Looks like an interesting mix - looking forward to hearing

Anonymous said...

That first ELP LP was one of the first three albums I bought when I got it, Paranoid, and Zinc Alloy in one fell swoop. 'Lucky Man' is still one of my all-time fave songs. I like the Masters Of Reality debut the best, but Sunrise is dandy, too.
C in California

dogbreath said...

The Masters of Reality album was a knockout when I first played it (agree it was probably down to Mr Baker giving things a kick up the arse). Good picks in this SOTW, making it the best SOTW since last week's. Thanks for doing the zipping up thing. Cheers!