Friday, February 5, 2021

"Playing Hooky #4": The Weekend Mix

 

 

 

Our pal Steve Simels over at Power Pop got things going for me with his posts on Robin Zander and Del Amitri and two songs that I consider the very best kind of power pop. Both of those songs are included here, but I don't think this mix is all power pop. Not at all. It is chock full of hooks though, so I ran with it. 

Enjoy "Playing Hooky #4."

As per usual, the zip differs slightly from the Spotify playlist.

TRACKLIST
The Perfect Size- Jon Auer
Lysistrata- Utopia
Not Where It's At- Del Amitri
Since I Found You- Michael Carpenter
Cookie Jar- Chris Collingwood
Love Lovely Love- Jonny Polonsky
In The Morning- Squeeze
Even If You Don't- Ween
The More That I'm Around You- Jules Shear
Chalk One Up For Albert's Side- Jim Boggia
She Laughed Loud- The Merry-Go-Round
Second Hand Dealer- The Searchers
Second Choice- Any Trouble
I'll Take My Chances- Swirl 360
Kathy Fong Is The Bomb- Tsar
Little White Lies- Status Quo
The Summer Rain- Shoes
And Your Bird Can Sing- The Beatles
Reactionary Girl- Robin Zander
I Love You, Minnie Moore- The John Sally Ride

zip



9 comments:

hpunch said...

In the Morning- Squeeze--- excellent choice

ken49 said...

Del Amitri is sorta of a discover after the fact for me which means there is a nice fat catalogue to explore. The song that might be my favorite is on Waking Hours and called "This Side of the Morning. Great lyrics and very good singer. A review said the song reminded him of Gasoline Alley era Rod Stewart and that was enough for me to seek it out.

A Walk In The Woods said...

Looks like a super-cool mix... and hey, look at The John Sally Ride battin' cleanup!!

dogbreath said...

Plenty to get one's teeth into here and yes, more hooks than an angler's bait box. Mixed metaphors aside, I'm loving The Merry Go Round and Searchers combo and I'm tickled pink (not a pretty sight at the best of times I can assure you) by the inclusion of the Quo track too. Nice one. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me of Jonny Polonsky!

Randy

Whattawino said...

This is one of your BEST! I’m Hooky-ed!

Patrick said...

Thanks, Sal. I picked up the Tsar disk in L.A. about 15 years ago and have been shocked ever since that they didn't become the biggest band in America...

william said...

Luv this and i see it is #4 in a series, but where are #1-3? I did a search on "Playing Hooky" in Burning Wood but did not see them?

Sal Nunziato said...

William,
Playing Hooky 1-3 are available as Spotify playlists. I didn't create Weekend zips for the first three.