Sunday, April 11, 2021

Songs Of The Week, 2021: 4/3- 4/9


 

 

Serenade To A Cuckoo- Roland Kirk
Easter Theater- XTC
I Don't Know You (Studio Demo)- Crowded House
Surrender- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Church- Lyle Lovett
Runaway- Jason Falkner
Old Town- Phil Lynott

zip

Serenade To A Cuckoo- Roland Kirk
I'm guessing many of you, like me, first heard this track on a Jethro Tull record. I picked up a nice copy of Kirk's "I Talk With The Spirits" this week and decided to share the master's version.

Easter Theatre- XTC
It was Easter Sunday, though I did toy with posting "A Day In The Life" as the SOTD, just for the "Woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head" lyric. 

I Don't Know You (Studio Demo)- Crowded House
Been meaning to post this for weeks, soon after it popped up on the iPod shuffle. I had no idea who it was. It might be the only non-Neil Finn lead vocal in the Crowded House repertoire.

Surrender- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Petty and gang doing their best Dwight Twilley on this early outtake, though I think this version may have been rerecorded during the "Damn The Torpedos" sessions. Anyone?

Church- Lyle Lovett
Your earworm for the day courtesy of my favorite Lyle Lovett tune.

Runaway- Jason Falkner
All that Falkner voting this week put me in the mood. I am a sucker for middle harmony, dating back to Laverne Andrews on my grandfather's Andrew Sisters records and then of course Lennon's beautiful vocal underneath McCartney's on "If I Fell." Since then, it's been something of an exercise/challenge to always try and sing along underneath. If you're still with me, this track has a killer Jason harmony underneath his melody on the last few choruses.

Old Town- Phil Lynott
It's never a bad idea to end a mix on this solo gem from Phil Lynott.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm voting for the Jason Falkner track as my favorite in today's mix.

Randy

Jeff in Denton TX said...

Phil Seymour's version of "Surrender" was released in 1982. Petty's Torpedoes-era version was first released in 2000, but a 1976 recording apparently appears on the Deluxe version of Tom's 2018 An American Treasure compilation (which I don't have).

Anonymous said...

"Eternally Tours" is a great album, and the debut is fine, as you said....but "All Fools Day" is the best Saints album, and, not coincidentally, in my all-time-fave album list.
C in California

Sal Nunziato said...

@C in California

I admittedly gave up on The Saints by All Fools Day, but after hearing Springsteen cover "Just Like Fire Would" listened to The Saints original. I thought it was...um..new wavey and very 80s. Am I wrong? I never bothered listening to the entire record because I disliked the production on that one song. Happy to give it another whirl with your endorsement.

Anonymous said...

Besides (the song) "Stranded" and a stray cover of the Saints or two (Figaro Brothers version of "Wrapped Up And Blue" is sublime, but couldn't find it on YouTube), "All Fools Day" (the album) was my intro to the band and I loved it and still do. The production is of its time, so the rest of the album may not work for you, but if you want to hear one other song on it to see if you'll bite, the title track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsgdLWOhoJA might be a good bet, as it's an elegiac haunter with a sweet arrangement and a nice long coda.
C in California

Sal Nunziato said...

C In California,
Found a copy of All Fools Day last Friday while digging. Listened to it all this afternoon with different ears. Really a terrific record. I'm not a big Mike Scott fan, but this record sounds like what I always want a Waterboys record to sound like. Not very reminiscent of the first two or three Saints records, but a great record nonetheless. Thanks for the push.

Anonymous said...

Ha! When I saw your One-Sentence Review today, I thought....he must've listened to it. So I came back here to see if you'd commented, et voila!
I have to say, that This Is The Sea and Fisherman's Blues are two of my favorite albums of all time, so you're stepping onto sacred ground when you comment on the Waterboys :)
C in California

Guy Incognito said...

Italian Plastic (on Woodface), Skin Feeling (Together Alone), My Telly's Gone Bung (Afterglow) are Crowded House tracks with Paul Hester singing lead. He wrote these tracks, and there may be others I'm forgetting at the moment.

Apologies for being several months late with this here comment no one will see!