Saturday, June 26, 2021

Songs Of The Week, 2021: 6/19-6/25

 


 

Oye Isabel- The Iguanas
It's My Fault- Jeffrey Foskett
Messed Around- Squeeze
Tamborine- Prince
Seasons Of Wither- Aerosmith
Why (How-Now)- Love Sculpture
Feel Again- Nick Lowe

zip

Oye Isabel- The Iguanas
One of the my greatest pleasures in life is seeing The Iguanas Wednesday night gig at The Circle Bar in New Orleans. If all goes well, I'll be singing along to "Oye Isabel" this October during the rescheduled New Orleans Jazz Fest.

It's My Fault- Jeffrey Foskett
When Jeffrey Foskett's "Cool & Gone" CD was released in 1997, it was a Japanese import only, selling for $35. That's a lot for a CD in 1997 and yet I sold dozens at the shop because when I played it, people had to have it. This is the opening track from one of the best pop albums of the 90's, and any decade really.

Messed Around- Squeeze
I played "Argybargy" last weekend, and though this is from "East Side Story," it's the one that's been in my head.

Tamborine- Prince
A recent discussion over drinks with a friend was about celebrities who were also drummers. Johnny Carson, Sammy Davis Jr., Gene Kelly and Bob Crane came to mind. I'm considering a mix of songs by musicians who are not drummers by trade, but do an excellent job of playing drums occasionally. This one from Prince is a contender, for sure.

Seasons Of Wither- Aerosmith
A great old track from "Get Your Wings" that maybe even non-Aerosmith fans might enjoy. 

Why (How-Now)- Love Sculpture
The second Love Sculpture record "Forms & Feelings" leans more toward psychedelia than thumping blues and this track is a fine example. Admittedly, it goes on a bit and I thought it might be a good way to end things, in case some of you lose patience. But I really liked finishing up with....

Feel Again- Nick Lowe
...a lovely cover of the Faron Young tune that feels like a great way to go out.


I usually post the SOTW on Sunday, but I will be on the road early tomorrow picking up a few hundred records in Asbury Park. So you vinyl lovers, keep on eye on the Discogs link, as I will be adding new stuff all week. The link is on the right, where it says "Records For Sale" or right here for those with an iron deficiency.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

As much as I love "Rocks" (and I know you do as well), "Get Your Wings" holds a special place in my high school memories yearbook.

I have somehow missed hearing the Foskett album - definitely checking that one out.

Thanks!

Randy

Anonymous said...

"Get Your Wings" and "Toys in the Attic" have big emotional hooks for me, too.

"Around the World In a Day" is a candidate for biggest letdown after a big album, but "Tamborine" was one of the bright spots.

A Walk In The Woods said...

As my old-South Granddaddy would say when he approved, "Mighty fine, son (thick drawl there), MIGHTY fine!"

Troy said...

Glad you're going to JF this year. We just booked second weekend, our first Fest in probably close to 10 years.

A Walk In The Woods said...

Also, a note that "Tamborine" (funny how he apparently intentionally misspelled it) is one of THE great underrated Prince songs that's been hiding in plain sight all these years.

During the first 4-5 months of the pandemic, I listened to Prince more than any other artist. Partly because a friend said she'd love a great Prince compilation - a modern mixtape of sorts.

So I went in deep. Tamborine leads off one of the mixes because it sounds ultra confident and badass, even by Prince standards. It's going from the go, no warmup needed, and like you said, relies more on a drum riff than most Prince songs.

It also captures the intersection of his pop/danceable sense and also his enduring weirdness. Lovesexy's "Dance On" is another of his songs that comes to mind in that category.

Cool article about Chris Rock's love of Prince and why he too misspelled Tamborine for the show he produced:

https://www.thewrap.com/why-chris-rock-tamborine-is-called-tamborine-and-not-tambourine/

Anonymous said...

Never heard of Jeffrey Foskett, but dang if that track doesn't sound like a Marshall Crenshaw outtake circa Field Day (and NO slagging on what I feel is MC's best album; that DOES include the production!).
C in California

pmac said...

Share your love for The Iguanas, but, sadly, The Circle Bar is gone for good.

Sal Nunziato said...

pmac,
I was unaware that the Circle Bar had shut down. That is heartbreaking.

Dr Wu said...

Thank you for the Jeffrey Foskett share, Sal! ‘Cool and Gone…’ was in heavy rotation this past weekend. So much so that I wondered why you’d never celebrated it before. A quick search revealed you had on many occasions. Must pay closer attention - I could’ve been listening this record for years. Lol!
Aerosmith’s ‘Rocks’ is one of the greatest albums ever, but it’s ‘Get Your Wings’ that has my heart. You never forgot your first.
Thanks again, Sal! And to everyone for the insights.

Palakaloo said...

Add Mickey Rooney to the list of drummers!

Michael Giltz said...

Jeffrey Foskett. I distinctly remember seeing that CD cover at NYCD and being intrigued...and then seeing the import sticker price. ALL these years and various Beach Boys projects since, you remind me again to check it out. Very fun album. I'll be living with it for a while.