Monday, June 28, 2021

Spring Is Here

 


 

I've known about this record for ages. I've bought and sold this record a number of times.  But somehow, I had never listened to Spring until yesterday. 

Spring began as The Honeys, featuring sisters Diane and Marilyn Rovell. Marilyn married Brian Wilson and gave birth to Wendy & Carnie. The Honeys released a number of Brian Wilson penned and produced singles in the 60s, as well as lending their voices to a number of Beach Boys songs.

But in 1972, The Honeys became Spring (aka American Spring, outside of the US) and released one record for United Artists, produced and mostly arranged by Brian, with brother Carl on guitar.

I am not sure what kept me from diving into the record other than assuming that a 60's girl group releasing an album in the early 70's might not appeal to me. But I picked up a copy in yesterday's record haul and gave it a ride from side to side and I was pleasantly surprised.

This record feels like a sister to The Beach Boys "Friends" or "20/20." It doesn't burst out with the California sunshine pop of The Honeys' singles, and neither Rovell sister has a particularly powerful voice. But Brian Wilson's vocal arrangements are mostly wonderful and occasionally, the music straddles both the laid back Laurel Canyon sound and the slight psychedelia found on the two Beach Boys records mentioned above. 

Spring offers up takes on BB's "This Whole World" and "Forever," as well as Brian's early "Thinkin' 'Bout You Baby," which later became "Darlin'." They also cover Leon Russell, Carole King and two songs that on paper seemed like mistakes--"Tennessee Waltz" and "Mama Said"---but are actually highlights of the record.

Spring isn't some great lost masterpeice. But I went in expecting nothing and came out incredibly happy. When it was over, I wanted more, which is the best I can say about any record. I think the more I play Spring, the more I will appreciate its subtleties.











4 comments:

heartsofstone said...

I somehow missed that this existed at all. I agree it is not a lost classic, but certainly a very welcome find. Thanks again.

heartsofstone said...

I was racking my brain to figure out where I had heard American Spring. Franz Ferdinand incorporates it into their LateNightTales session. The original is much better.

hpunch said...

I never heard of Spring until Tim Christensen posted about the album on social media I quite like it. Thanks to you and Tim.

Palakaloo said...

This is the album I have told more people about than any other. This has been one of my favorites for decades now and I love passing it along especially to Beach Boys fans who aren't aware. Best song for me by far is Sweet Mountain! Thanks for passing them along!!