Monday, July 19, 2021

He Contains Multitudes

 


 

Are there any Bob Dylan fans out there who expected last night's virtual concert event to actually be a proper virtual concert? Were you expecting a straight pandemic performance with a live band, and concert debuts from "Rough & Rowdy Ways?" New songs? Maybe a cover of "Rock Me, Baby" for an encore? 

I know I wasn't. 

But I was excited nonetheless because this was a Bob Dylan first. 

(So were the five Sinatra records, but that's another story.)

"Shadow Kingdom: The Early Songs Of Bob Dylan," which can be accessed until tomorrow night for a $25 fee, was nothing short of genius. This short film was as brilliant as the artist. Featuring a band of names that were unfamiliar to me, and filmed at a club in Marseilles in smokey black and white (or a soundstage in California, made to look like The Bon Bon Club in France),  Dylan reworked a dream set list that was obviously prerecorded, but stunning nonetheless. 

Title cards appeared just as each song began.

PLEDGING MY TIME

BABY BLUE

WICKED MESSENGER

WHAT WAS IT YOU WANTED

QUEEN JANE

I was choking up before the songs even started. 

The arrangements fit the atmosphere. With an accordion, two guitars and an acoustic bass bringing a "Casablanca" meets Village Vanguard/French cheese shop vibe to the session, Dylan and some new friends rearranged an hour's worth of classics for a small group of actors, paid to sit and smoke and look beautiful, while Zimmy put his heart and soul into some timeless material. 

His singing was sublime.  But then, I have always thought Bob was a great singer. For these songs, the rasp is kept at bay. And so is the reciting, for the most part.

If you were one of those who either didn't get "Rough & Rowdy Ways," or simply didn't like it, the samey arrangements of these tracks might also put you off. I don't feel that way, but I do understand. As one old friend and long time Dylan fan said to me, "People involved with this film say he sounds great, but I don't trust this blind devotion." Fair enough. But I think it is also fair to say, I am not one of those guys, even if I do love "Rough & Rowdy Ways." This performance knocked me out.

Maybe the previews and weeks-long hype were a bit deceptive, but if you aren't onto Mr. Zimmerman by now, you're not paying attention. "Shadow Kingdom" is essential viewing, and I can only hope this was a tease for a soundtrack release, because hearing Bob at 80, sing...really sing these classics...will be essential listening, as well. If there isn't another collection of originals left in Bob Dylan, I'd be more than satisfied hearing him revisit his catalogue for as long as he is able to do it.


12 comments:

drstu said...

You pretty much know how I feel in general about Dylan’s performances but I trust your judgement a great deal so I will look forward to checking this out.One thing about him is he is a true chameleon when it comes to vocal performances. I never doubt his band.I’ve been told this was a soundstage in CA appearing to be a French cafe with everyone smoking.I’ll fact check that one.

jef said...

A bit off-topic but I thought Sal and the crew here might enjoy it. Confessions of a(another) vinyl junkie - https://dangerousminds.net/comments/extreme_record_collecting_confessions_of_an_analog_vinyl_snob

Cheers and thanks for all the fun and tunes here!

buzzbabyjesus said...

The bits available on YouTube indicate it was pretty darn cool.

A Walk In The Woods said...

Since Dylan sits alone atop of my personal musical Mount Rushmore - with many also-vaunted musicians just a few steps below, but never superceding him - last night's show was a real pleasure.

First, it's great just to hear Dylan do ANYthing. (Yes, I'm that fan.) But I mean, he's already survived drugs, a motorcycle accident, and the fingerless gloves of the 80s to live past the average life expectancy. The guy is 80. So to get a new performance by him is thrilling.

Second, as you said, it was rendered so well. I was smiling the whole time, saying to my buddies I was watching it with, "It's cool that he just made this weird little film noir to represent his music in 2021 exactly as he'd like to. He did it his way."

Third, I got to hear my favorite Dylan song live, which I've only had happen once in the 18 times I've seen him so far. That is "Tom Thumb."

Fourth - well, there is no fourth. (Nor was there "Fourth Time Around," which I'd held out a hope for once he played the magical "Pledging My Time" from the same LP) It was just a really fun little movie/show. I hope he does more. I do hope I also get to see him live and in person again. I had a ticket to his Atlanta show for July 2020 which of course was cancelled.

Claude B. said...

Couldn't agree more with you: it was a fantastic hour. Superb vocal delivery and great arrangements. Please Bob, we want a vinyl release of this!

Michael Giltz said...

I couldn't bring myself to plunk down the money, sadly. But I was intrigued and now I'm jealous. I'm sure eventually we'll get a chance to see the concert and hear a soundtrack of it. But it's cool to be here and gone, for the moment.

Michael "I liked the standards albums" Giltz

cmealha said...

I didn't even know about this until I read your piece. I was never a fan of his voice, especially when I was younger, but over the years I've come to appreciate his genius as a songwriter of the highest caliber. I watched today, mesmerized. What a great outing and I don't think he's sounded so good this century. Loved it. There'll be a little something extra in the envelope for you this week.

Théo said...

The scenes on the checkerboard floor were probably in his 18th St. Coffeehouse in Santa Monica (1725 Broadway).

Keith35 said...

Thanks for the heads up. I watched this yesterday. Loved it! Was surprised at how well his vocals were. The band sounded great; and I'm normally not a fan of the accordion. For me the highlight was "What Was it You Wanted". I love hearing anything from Oh mercy

Mr. Baez said...

I've now watched this three times and just really digging it. Being able to partake in Bob's alternative pre-WWII, cowboy swing honkytonk juke joint vibe universe in all its smoked filled spilled drinks glory is a real hoot. He is in fine voice and definitely appears to be making a real effort to modulate and adjust his voice when necessary. I too have always dug his singing and think his phrasing has always been a strong asset. Though all the band players are new to me, they sounded great and played like a well oiled machine. I liked the song selection, and agree with Keith35 that "What Was It You Wanted" was a standout for me, as well as "Forever Young" and "Queen Jane". The ambiance was just spot on, beautifully shot in an almost semi sepia tone b&w. In some way the smokey, shadowy style reminded me of Bryan Ferry. Very enjoyable and now the viewing has been extended until Sunday if people want to watch it again. I love how at 80, Bob Dylan continues to surprise and amaze. What a guy.

Michael Giltz said...

It was Great!
It was Terrible!
It was Ludicrous!
It was Hilarious!
But above all it was a Scam! A bait and switch!

I should have known better, Sal, I'll admit it. but before reading your piece I did innocently believe a concert film from Bob Dylan hosted on the site veeps that boasts of holding thousands of concerts would in fact be...a concert. Silly boy!

To be clear, this is a 50 minute music video of Bob Dylan lip syncing very poorly to an album of songs. Maybe those songs were recorded live in the studio but it is not a live album. (Dinah Jams by Dinah Washington was recorded live in the studio and that IS a live album. A great one.) Shadow Kingdom should be shelved alongside Good As I Been To You and Shadows Of The Night. It should not be shelved alongside Before The Flood or Royal Albert Hall.

I was VERY annoyed by the visuals for the first song and a half. The actors/models posing as an audience, the lip syncing (though god knows I'm glad Dylan isn't a good lip syncer; he SHOULD be bad at such a dark art). Then I started to giggle and enjoy it. The band is wearing masks, not due to COVID but secondhand smoke, I imagine. The audience is furiously drinking and smoking and coolly nodding their heads. By the time one song had two women flanking Dylan and one brushes off some lint from his jacket while Dylan sings and the later moment when a guitarist just steps in front of the camera for their guitar solo I was laughing... (part one of two)

Michael Giltz said...

part two of two

Yes, i gave in to the silliness of the setting and Dylan's casually exaggerated gestures and took it all as one more bit of Dylan taking the piss. I headed to my car and just listened to Shadow Kingdom as an album, with glances to see what song was coming next.

So it's $30 to listen to an album of Dylan tackling his own catalog. It's Dylan Sings Dylan. And like the folk covers and yes the Great American Songbook albums, it's great. The numbers glide into one another, the singing is excellent, the arrangements good and what's always front and center are the songs. Tom Thumbs Blues stuck with me, but really it's strong from start to finish. The performances aren't revelatory in a "oh he slowed this song down and I hear it in an entirely new way" but they're still very fresh readings. I haven't seen Dylan in concert nearly enough but I've seen the eras where he rushes through songs in such rapid fashion you spend all your energy on trying to figure out WHAT song it is. Not here. It's the concert set list of my dreams, performed marvelously. I'd kill to be in that club and would smoke Lucky Strikes nonstop if that was the price of admission. (LSMFT!)

It's not a concert. It's an album. And I suppose for decency sake he won't release it physically for a while if not years. But I hope we don't have to wait for Official Bootleg #57 to get it on vinyl/CD/8 track/streaming. In fact, having paid $30, I won't feel guilty snagging what I assume are pristine bootlegs traveling the internet until I can get it officially. Excellent album. Thanks for prodding me.