Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Joe Higgs' "Life Of Contradiction" Might Be The Reggae Record For You

 


There is no doubt that Joe Higgs is a reggae legend, famously tutoring a young Bob Marley in the late 50's, as well as being somewhat responsible for Marley and Peter Tosh hooking up with Bunny Wailer.

His earliest singles with Delroy Wilson, under Higgs & Wilson start as early as 1964. But it is 1975's "Life Of Contradiction," his proper solo debut, that stands as his masterwork. 

I know reggae doesn't go over too well on these pages, but I picked up a trio of original reggae essentials this weekend, one of which was "Life Of Contradiction," and listening to it again, on a glorious first Jamaican pressing, changed my mood completely. All reggae and ska, regardless of whether the song is a protest or made for dancing, is incredibly uplifting. But Joe Higgs' songs on this record truly shine.

Listen to the title track above, with its killer soul chords, or what closes the album, "Song My Enemy Sings" below, and the hypnotic guitar part that stays tight and steady for minutes, changing ever-so subtlely on each run. It's a thing of beauty.

I posted something about this on Instagram and a friend pointed out that a year or so ago, I had sold him a reissue of "Life Of Contradiction." He said, "I wasn't into reggae, but you described it as the Rubber Soul of reggae records and that intrigued me and it really opened a window for me." Maybe you'll feel the same.  Or maybe you'll feel the same.







5 comments:

Ken D said...

Reggae always welcome here. But as a casual fan, I'm unfamilar with the Higgs album. Good to know.
I think you've set the stage for a Tuesday change-of-pace dive into some roots and rock steady.

Also loving that album cover at top left.

Anonymous said...

Sal, currently listening to it on Youtube - sounds promising. Congrats on scoring a Jamaican original - appears pretty scarce on Discogs. Do you happen to know anything about the UK vinyl reissue?

Randy

Sal Nunziato said...

Randy,
The first copy I owned was the UK reissue from 2008 and it was fine.

drstu said...

Love this record Sal. I wouldn’t be surprised if I bought this disc from you years ago! Once I had read about his history with Marley etc, I knew I had to have it. I’ve found a lot of cool ska and reggae music on Dr Bird label (Pioneers, Kingstonians). Tx for the Higgs reminder!!!

buzzbabyjesus said...

This is just what I like, and I can't believe it's the first time I'm hearing it. Thanks!