Monday, August 9, 2021

Not All Things Pass Muster

 


 

On November 30, 2020 I posted a remix of "All Things Must Pass" that blew a lot of minds. The crystal clear clarity and spaciousness of the new mix turned a beloved song into something brand new. With that new mix came the promise of more to come.

That "more" has come, to the tune of anywhere from $30 to $1100, depending on your personal need for garden gnomes.

I wasn't sure how to approach reviewing this new 50th Anniversary set from George Harrison's estate. I wanted to take into consideration a number of things, for instance, the people who stopped buying physical product years ago, digital versus vinyl, cost relative to content, etc..

I'll start by saying, if I had an endless supply of cash, there would be five garden gnomes in my living room. But I don't, so there isn't. 

Having listened so far to the album proper in its new remix, Sides One through Four of the Day 1 Demos, and Sides One & Two of the Sessions and Outtakes---yes, I bought the Super Deluxe Vinyl, and needed a stevedore to carry it up the stairs--- I noticed one very important thing: that remix from November 30, 2020 is NOT on the box.

How is that possible? I'll explain.

This new remix, at least to my ears, is hit and miss. On the quieter, more laid back tracks like "I'd Have You Anytime," "If Not For You," "Beware Of Darkness" and "Behind That Locked Door," the sound is as promised with that initial sneak peak of the title track eight months ago. It is a stunning revelation to hear these familiar songs as if they were being played for me personally in my own little studio.

But on the big tracks like "Wah-Wah," "Isn't It A Pity," "What Is Life," "Awaiting On You All," Art Of Dying" and "My Sweet Lord," all of the brightness of the originals has been, shall we say, given shock treatments. The songs seem to just lie there. Some songs sound muddy, while others, simply sound lifeless. 

On another note, there is something about this new mix that gives the album proper a sound that reminds me of "The White Album," and the Beatle fanatic inside of me got a real kick out of listening to it that way. "ATMP" has somehow taken on the vibe of "The White Album," unintentionally I would imagine. The bells and whistles and reverb have been ever so slightly De-Spectorized, and the record now, for better or worse (I say "worse") feels more organic, like said "White Album." A number of the songs were written as early as 1968, so they could very well have been included on that Beatles double.

Your ears may hear all of this another way.

Now before anyone mentions vinyl versus digital, I did listen to the digital files before the vinyl and my initial reaction was the same. Why doesn't "All Things Must Pass" sound like that video from November?! One of the comments on that original November post said, "Even a compressed YouTube stream of this remix sounds great." Right! But it does not sound that good now! Not on vinyl. Not as an MP3 file.

All this being said, the demos and sessions are mostly fabulous. Small group versions of these familiar songs are truly wonderful, with many I hadn't heard before. And unlike so many outtakes and incomplete versions, almost all of what I have heard so far, bears repeated listening. 

BUT...a not so minor quibble...the bonus LPs run 20-24 minutes. That's shorter than "Meet The Beatles." This deluxe set did not have to be 8 LPs or almost $200.

"All Things Must Pass" is arguably one the greatest solo achievements by a member of any major band, not just The Beatles. It's no "Ringo's Rotogravure," but it is damn good! I am very happy to have this, as it does offer more music that any previous incarnation. But it cannot replace the original 3 LP box. It's too different and not always for the better.

Remember, I am still getting through it all. But at press time, I am still not over the fact that a gotdanged YouTube video from 10 months ago sounded better than my HQ vinyl and its digital counterpart. If that one track had been scheduled as a stand alone single, I had already made up my mind in November to spend money on it, whatever the cost. Where the hell is it? I'd love to know if anyone else has noticed this. It's really bothering me.

13 comments:

Keith35 said...

ATMP is no doubt a great album. A top 3 Beatles solo album for me. I have the 2017 (2014)pressing and it sounds pretty good. For me, the new deluxe set does not warrant the price. I'd rather spend my money at Oscamadisoy (or is it madisox?)

sclinchy said...

Interesting perspective from Bobby Whitlock, who (to hear him tell it) was there for all of the sessions.

https://youtu.be/soM5B6q39Ls

daudder said...

Yeah, I rather have more versions, outtakes, even reconceptualizations (i.e. Love) of the Beatles, either as a group or their solo projects (or for that matter any of ones' favorite artists).

It, even for a brief time, rekindles the excitement/joy/wonder of the first time hearing them, and helps in the journey of figuring out why they are just so great even now. That such a miracle exists at all justifies the effort, to me.

Dr Wu said...

I listened to the 50th anniversary album via Apple Music with headphones and the Dolby ATMOS. I enjoyed it but, wasn’t knocked out by it. I agree that the quieter songs seem to benefit the most. I’ve always thought of ‘What Is Life’ as loud and messy - and absolutely the better for it. To me, the new mix does seem to tame it a bit
A tangential benefit was I revisited Delaney & Bonnie, Blind Faith, and Derek & The Dominos first after listening. I’m not quiet so angry at Clapton anymore. After your review, I’m excited to listen to the outtakes, demos, and jams. Thanks for sharing. And thank you for all the recent recommendations - I’m having great fun!

A Walk In The Woods said...

Thanks for this. Dang. I may just have to... wait for it... pass.

You know a George release that seemed to get almost no publicity at the time - and came out as a skinny CD sleeve that kind of just disappears into a collection because it's not wide enough to be seen from the side like most CD sleeves - is "Early Takes - Volume 1" from 10 years ago. (Where's Volume 2?)

https://www.georgeharrison.com/releases/early-takes-vol-1/

Now THAT'S the type of George I want to hear more of. In fact, now you have me wondering - how many of the songs on it overlap with the new Super Deluxe?

Anonymous said...

Am I enjoying the heretofore Spector-buried rhythm guitar, background vocals and upfront George lead vocals? Yes….do I love the personality of the clattering clanging original mix? Yes….I guess mood will decide in the future which version I play….oh and cannot wait for the 8-disc Somewhere in England re-do!👍👍👍

Michael Giltz said...

Here comes my ignorant self. I admit upfront I am WRONG and don't know what I'm talking about. I dig the Beatles. I admire and love everything about George except I've never cared much about his solo stuff. All Things Must Pass sits there demanding admiration and respect of a sort and I gave it but never with my heart. Boy was the album front-loaded. After those first six songs, I heard very little that held my attention but boy were those first six songs great. And I could do without the jam sessions at the end which I should have treated separately but hey, there they are and it's not like LP where those are literally separate. On CD (or streaming) it's just all one album. So always respected it far more than any other solo George but never nearly as much as multiple albums by John (and Yoko!) and Paul. I liked that first new mix of All Things Must Pass but didn't know the album well enough to exclaim over the sonic differences the way I did when Beatles albums were finally on MONO on CD for example. But it sounded good! And finally the 2021 remastered album came out....

Michael Giltz said...

...and finally the 2021 remastered album came out. For me, a fella who hasn't really listened to the album very much, I liked it more than ever before. I'm skint so I'm listening to the newly remastered digital audio via Spotify through my phone and onto cheap car speakers. (At least I listened to it all at once while driving to Atlanta.) This was the first time I heard the tracks with more individual personality; it breathed a little. Before they all sort of blended together for me. I also took a break before diving into the Apple Jams so I could separate the album proper more than before. You know, the title track is a gorgeous seemingly philosophical track but I'm always disappointed to remember it's kind of a kiss-off, using half-assed eastern philosophy to say, Hey babe, the party's over. I'm out of here! Unfair, but there you are. Still, it's a stirring track and those first six songs are killer. As a kid I was a little freaked out that I was going to be converted by singing along to "My Sweet Lord." Seriously. But what a great song. To me the quality stil slides way down hill after those first six but I enjoyed the album much more than ever before. I'm sure it would be EVEN BETTER with the remastering you want/it deserves. But happy I could hear it anew. Now when does that 8-disc Somewhere In England come out?

Michael Giltz said...

Oh and on the way home from Atlanta, I listened to the White Album (in mono, natch). Oh my god what a great album. For this week, it's my favorite Beatles album. (For a while before that it's been Abbey Road, which I would never have named my favorite Beatles album in the past and of course it's been Revolver and White Album and Sgt Pepper and to please Sal A Hard Day's Night and almost Magical Mystery Tour but never quite). But oh my gosh the White Album just shows they can do anything and everything and constantly surprise and thrill and confound and is just awe-inspiring and were the Beach Boys pissed or did they love the California Girls cheekiness of Back In The U.S.S.R.?

Sal Nunziato said...

@Michael Giltz
Beware of Darkness, Apple Scruffs (!!), Awaiting On You All, "All Things Must Pass," "Art Of Dying"--that's pretty back-loaded.

Also, I find "Living In The Material World," "George Harrison (1979)," "Cloud Nine," and especially "Brainwashed," even as a posthumous afterthought, all far more listenable than any of John's solo work, save "Plastic Ono Band."

You're not "wrong" or "ignorant," but maybe just need to revisit all of these George records from a pop POV.

Michael Giltz said...

It's time for me to revisit George's solo work.I've never been won over by any of it except for All Things Must Pass. Is there any Ringo album that's essential? As for John, only two of his solo albums rank on my best of the year lists: Plastic Ono Band and my beloved Double Fantasy. However, he does have a LOT of great solo albums and you can make a great greatest hits out of them. Plus some of the boxed sets and that radio series is awesome. But Paul wins the solo sweepstakes, even if you stop at Tug Of War, in my book. With Ram at the top and (covering it all) Chaos and Creation and Tug Of War (Yes, I said it) and the Elvis Costello demos/Flowers in the Dirt and Band On The Run and a greatest hits set all essential to me. But oh how I'd love to be listening to John getting a fire lit under him by Chaos & Creation and delivering another great album. Surely he was just getting started, assuming he wouldn't have run for Mayor and be busy making NYC hum.

Sal Nunziato said...

@Michael Giltz,
I think "Ringo" from '73 is essential. It's the closest thing to a Beatles album after the break-up, as all four participate. "Goodnight Vienna," while not as strong as "Ringo" and certainly not "essential" is a very solid listen. Then the "comeback" record, "Time Takes Time" 20 years later is damn good. The rest is all typically goofy Ringo.

Michael Giltz said...

Thanks!