Sunday, August 8, 2021

Songs Of The Week, 2021: 7/31-8/6

 


 

Hold On Tight- David Werner
Rainy Day Parade- Jill Sobule
Texan Love Song- Elton John
She's Electric- Oasis
Sally Green- The Alan Bown
I Wanna Holler- Gary U.S. Bonds
Find The Torch, Burn The Plans- Paul Weller

zip

Hold On Tight- David Werner
Remember when David Werner's record was everywhere? And then...it was nowhere. David Werner's 1979 Epic release is a cult classic, for sure, and it sounded better than ever when I gave it a spin last week.

Rainy Day Parade- Jill Sobule
Way back in the early dark days of the pandemic, I started sending my mother a Song Of The Day, as a way to stay in touch and keep her spirits up. She started replying with ratings. "Four Thumbs" was a winner. And if a song really did it for her, she'd reply, "GOOD SONG!" Or in the case of Dave McMurray's cover of the Grateful Dead's "Eyes Of The World," which is still up as Today's Cover Version--- "I just LOVE the sound of his saxophone." This Jill Sobule track only got "two thumbs." Let's hope you dig it more than she did.

Texan Love Song- Elton John
The more things change....

She's Electric- Oasis
The Gallaghers should have released a 3-track E.P. with "Don't Look Back In Anger," "Wonderwall" and "Some Might Say" and then drifted out onto the open sea for eternity. Actually, most of "Morning Glory" is very listenable, like this track. I always thought the Beatles comparisons were weak, but the Fabs are all over this one.

I Wanna Holler- Gary U.S. Bonds
I've loved the Detroit Cobras version of this song for years, but it had been a long time since I heard the original. Thanks to Sal Maida for bringing it up.

Find The Torch, Burn The Plans- Paul Weller
This closes out Weller's "Wake Up The Nation" and now closes out SOTW, #2083.


8 comments:

Crab Devil said...

Not to be gratuitous, but you might like this little
interview where (guitarist/Chicago punk veteran/filmmaker)
Dave Thomas talks about his appreciation for David Werner,
particularly "Imagination Quota."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zltXqL-n930

kevin m said...

I'm probably the only person on this board who really likes Oasis

A Walk In The Woods said...

Great song title by Weller - reminds me of Graham Parker's "Get Started, Start A Fire" as a song title.

drl said...

I really enjoy these playlists you post each week. Thanks for your work on this.

art58koen said...

Thanks for bringing David Werner to my attention as (believe it or not!) I'd never heard of him, great powerpop!

dogbreath said...

Not so,count me in as an Oasis fan too. I think the Gallaghers gave the UK rock landscape a good kick up the arse when they arrived (as well as giving eachother and anyone else they fancied a good kicking as well) and their best stuff (band and solo) does the business when you want it to. Who could resist their espiéglerie? Anyhow, many thanks for zipping up. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

"Modern Romance" from the Werner lp was all over Chicago FM radio. I would vacillate between thinking it was Bowie or Tim Curry. can't say Epic didn't try - they also put out a 7-song live ep from the album that was great.

FD13NYC said...

I give the Jill Sobule song 4 thumbs up, I like it. And the David Werner haven't heard in a long time, good stuff.