Friday, September 10, 2021

"An Introduction To Warren Storm": THE WEEKEND MIX

  


 

 

Louisiana lost a legend this week. 

My introduction to Warren Storm was through a handful of import records on the Flyright label highlighting the production of another Louisiana legend, Jay Miller. I had about three dozen of these records, some various artists compilations and others focused on artists like Slim Harpo, Clifton Chenier, Guitar Gable, King Karl and Warren Storm.

Jay Miller had a sound just like Phil Spector had a sound, and if Ronnie Spector and Darlene Love were voices that represented Spector's Wall Of Sound, then Warren Storm was the voice of Swamp Pop.

Storm was also a member of Lil' Band O'Gold, a Louisiana version of the Traveling Wilburys, if you will, and one of the bands I would never miss on those rare occasions when they would assemble in New Orleans. Robert Plant was a fan, as well. He recorded a track with LBOG for their Fats Domino tribute, and occasionally sat in with the band when in New Orleans.

CC Adcock, another one of my guys, was also a member of LBOG and his words on Warren Storm say it best.

"A lotta cats can sing.. but Warren can sing better. He had that incredibly rare x-factor trait that makes a voice uniquely distinctive and able to cut and resonate with every soul who ever heard it. As a singing-drummer, his style was that melodic swing from another time - the essential stuff that makes rock roll.

The decades and decades of crazy-funny stories are literally countless. Warren was just a big kid! And I personally don't believe anyone should have to even consider growing up until the very day they die.

Lawd, I need somebody bad tonight... Cuz we just lost somebody good!"

 

This mix features some of my favorite tracks from both Storm's solo career and from Lil' Band O'Gold, where he played drums and shared vocals duties. I hope ya dig it.

 

Warren Storm, R.I.P.

 

TRACKLIST
Shirley- LBOG
Mama Mama Mama-WS
Teardrops- LBOG
No No- WS
Please Mr. Sandman- LBOG
This Should Go On Forever- WS
Hold On Tight- LBOG
Love Rules The Heart- WS
Raining In My Heart- WS
Runaway Life- LBOG
If You Don't Want Me- WS
Parlez Nous A Boire- LBOG
If You Really Want Me To Go, I'll Go- WS
That Feel- LBOG
Allons A Rock N Roll- LBOG

zip




11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not familiar with Warren Storm. Thanks for highlighting him. I'm downloading right now!

Captain Al

BlueStaxBoy said...

Fabulous tracks from a true unsung hero. I just love the LBOG versions of Jimmy Donley's Please Mr Sandman and some LBOG tunes I don't have. Thanks

heartsofstone said...

Thanks so much. You turned me on to LBOG a while back. Was tough to track down those releases, but well worth it.

JAYESSEMM said...

Brilliant!

Thanks Sal

pmac said...

Got to see Plant sing with a local NO band, Guitar Lightin Lee, in a dive bar a few blocks from my house when Plant was in town for a Lil Band O Gold concert (also saw Lil Band O Gold then, too). Both were very memorable. Thx, Sal.

neal t said...

remember seeing Plant in some configuration @ JF. C C was playing in the Blues tent same time & Plant said ooh that's C C I recognize that sound when he was bleeding over to Acura stage. unreal Adcock has only those 2 killer CDs in his name. Saw him being the band @ a fantastic Ponderosa stomp night back in da day. Kept it moving.

Anonymous said...

After never having issues downloading lo these many years, the last few have given me an error message: "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\Nf9i6J1A.zip.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read." Anyone else having this or similar issue? Thanks.

Sal Nunziato said...

I always check the download the second I publish to make sure there are no issues. There weren't any this morning and there aren't any now. Have you tried using a different browser?

Bob Mac said...

Thanks for this.

dogbreath said...

Not my usual cup of char - or should that be mint julep? (get on with it - Ed) - but I've enjoyed some of the Lil' Band O'Gold tracks you've posted previously so happy to give this mix a spin. Must be feeling frivolous tonight! Many thanks for the post & info. Cheers!

Whattawino said...

As a fellow drummer, I can tell you that Warren Storm was a killer on the kit as well as vocals. I mean he just nailed ‘em both….and at the same time! Lucky to have seen them a couple times. And CC Adcock’s words are pure perfection! Thanks for a great post, Sal.