Sunday, September 12, 2021

Songs Of The Week, 2021: 9/4-9/10

 


I Need You- The Wailers
Kingdom Come- Tom Verlaine
Someday- Rico
My Little Blue Window- Elvis Costello
Hate & War- The Clash
Baby Loves To Rock- Cheap Trick
Bittersweet- Lewis Taylor

zip

I Need You- The Wailers
About 8 years before "Get Up, Stand Up" and the classic Island debut, Bob, Bunny and Peter were recording their own brand of rock steady and doo wop. As much as I love those iconic Island records, there are times I prefer the vibe of these old sides a lot more.

Kingdom Come- Tom Verlaine
From the real second Television album, not that crap "Adventure," this track found on Verlaine's solo debut can also be found covered on Bowie's "Scary Monsters." I prefer Tom's original.

Someday- Rico
Studio One has released a handful of 40th Anniversary vinyl sets lovingly remastered and repackaged, including The Specials-"More Specials" as a half-speed remaster and two from trombonist and band leader Rico. This cover of one of my favorite Dave Bartholomew classics can be found on "Jama Rico." This cover, by the way, absolutely slays me.

My Little Blue Window- Elvis Costello
Not to open the can of Costello worms again but, all those 90's and 2000's records no one cares about because they don't sound like "Armed Forces" or because they don't have Bruce Thomas continue to deliver for me. “Momofuku,” “The Delivery Man,” the Bacharach, Toussaint and The Roots collabs, the gorgeous “Juliet Letters” with the Brodsky Quartet, and "When I Was Cruel"...all right on the money…if you just get over them not sounding like The Attractions! 

Hate & War- The Clash
The Clash debut, US tracklist or UK tracklist? I vote US and luckily this gem is on both.

Baby Loves To Rock- Cheap Trick
A highlight from Wednesday night's show.

Bittersweet- Lewis Taylor
Light In The Attic has just reissued the brilliant debut from Lewis Taylor as a remastered 2 LP set. The pressing is fantastic and hearing it for the first time in ages has made me hope that LITA will do the same for Taylor's other three excellent releases.

11 comments:

A Walk In The Woods said...

Man, another well-curated mix of songs - looking forward to hearing it, looks great. I don't know that Clash song, but the title puts me in the mind of my favorite Clash, "Death Or Glory."

Dr Wu said...

Thanks for the Lewis Taylor reminder. I’ve loved ‘The Lost Album’ since I first purchased - a new discovery being played in store at the time. Wouldn’t be surprised to learn Rundgren and Wilson wondering when they recorded some of these songs. Haven’t heard his debut yet - something to look forward to on a Sunday morning. Thanks for all you do!

Anonymous said...

While I can't say Adventure is on par with, or even close to Marquee Moon, 'crap' is a pretty strong word to describe it. But that comes from someone who listens to more solo Verlaine than Television. BTW, what in the world is Tom doing these days besides NOT playing new music??? Must be doing whatever Jason Falkner is up to.

Anyway, nice mix - I'm looking forward to hearing Rico and Lewis Taylor, they are new to me.

Randy

Sal Nunziato said...

Randy,
"that crap 'Adventure'" had a nice ring to it.
I do love "Ain't That Nothin'."

Anonymous said...

My Little Blue Window is a favorite on When I Was Cruel. Another great melody tucked away on what would have been side 2. Have you listened to Spanish Model yet? I'll probably be picking it up this week. Not sure yet about the remixing of the original tracks, but will wait till I hear the whole thing.

Bill

Stephen said...

I have an 8:19m version of the Rico track.....the music only goes for 4:18!

Is this a Sal remix!?

Cheers

Sal Nunziato said...

Stephen,
Sorry about that. Not sure why that happened. I'll get a new link up in a bit.

Sal Nunziato said...

Bill,
I am waiting for the 2 LP set to arrive and will listen to both the Spanish Model and new This Year's Model in full. I did listen to "No Action," though, and it sounds like the new vocal was hastily slapped over the old music. Sounded fake to me.

Sal Nunziato said...

LINK HAS BEEN CORRECTED.

Stephen said...

Thank you

I was waiting, and waiting, and waitimg.........for something to happen!

Proves I do listen....

Cheers
Stephen

jonder said...

Listened to Scary Monsters the other day and agree completely. Tom's "Kingdom Come" is much better than Bowie's.

Adventure's not so bad. No love for "Glory" or "Days"?

Luna released a cover of "Marquee Moon" last year (the song, not the whole album), and it's pretty decent.

https://luna.bandcamp.com/track/marquee-moon