Sunday, September 26, 2021

Songs Of The Week, 2021: 9/18-9/24


 

Eighteen- Connie Francis
The World Is A Ghetto- The Paragons w/Roslyn Sweat
My Mistake- Marvin  Gaye & Diana Ross
Stealin'- Taj Mahal
Better By Far- Terry Reid
Come To Realise- Ronnie Wood
How Could We Dare To Be Wrong- Colin Blunstone

zip

Eighteen- Connie Francis
There is a great collection called "Rocksides," which features a "rock" side of Connie Francis that is quite different from the schmaltzy pop and Italian sides she is mostly known for. This cool one opens up that set and this.

The World Is A Ghetto- The Paragons with Roslyn Sweat
A lovely vibe from one of my favorite albums of the genre.

My Mistake- Marvin Gaye & Diana Ross
This is one of my all time faves from Motown, and though it was Top 20 in 1974, it still baffles me that it wasn't a #1.

Stealin'- Taj Mahal
All of Taj's records on the Columbia label are guarantees. I tend to forget about them. But when I pull one out, I am usually in a blissful trance when it's over. This comes from "Happy Just To Be Like I Am."

Better By Far- Terry Reid
A conversation with a friend who just discovered Terry Reid led me to this, one of his two early singles before the release of "Bang Bang...," and a good example of why he was Jimmy Page's first choice for Led Zeppelin.

Come To Realise- Ronnie Wood
I've mentioned a number of times on these pages that I think Roxy Music's "Siren" has one of the best drum sounds ever recorded on record. Ronnie's "Gimme Some Neck" has one of the worst! But there are some great tunes, and this, crappy sound be damned, is my favorite.

How Could We Dare To Be Wrong- Colin Blunstone
The voice of The Zombies closes things out. Blunstone's "One Year" is a much better record than his follow-up "Ennismore," but you shouldn't sleep on "Ennismore." There is plenty to love, including this incredibly beautiful track that finishes Side Two.

2 comments:

Eric S. said...

week in, week out, the songs and the words deliver; thanks, Sal.

A Walk In The Woods said...

Looks like an excellent mix!! And echoing Eric's comment above