Sunday, October 10, 2021

Songs Of The Week, 2021: 10/2-10/8

 


 

Fire Engine- The 13th Floor Elevators
Who Do You Love- The Sapphires
Gawd Above- John Fullbright
You And Your Sister- Chris Bell
Baby I Lied- Tracey Ullman
Miller's Farm- ZZ Top
Don't Look Back In Anger- Oasis

zip

Fire Engine- The 13th Floor Elevators
I was listening to a live Television bootleg a few weeks back and they covered this track. They actually covered it a lot back in the day. I thought I'd begin with the original.

Who Do You Love- The Sapphires
This trio from Philly recorded for the Swan label, the label famously known for crappy sounding Beatles 45s. This gem from 1964 is a favorite record and I finally grabbed an original. Not an expensive record, but essential.

Gawd Above- John Fullbright
This song, and a few others, knocked me out in 2012. But Fullbright hasn't released a new record since 2014. I don't blame him. "Gawd Above" probably drained him.

You And Your Sister- Chris Bell
I love Big Star, but the songs I love on Bell's "I Am The Cosmos" I love more than any of the songs I love by Big Star. Here is one of them.

Baby I Lied- Tracey Ullman
This one popped up out of nowhere. iPod shuffle, I think. Had to do some digging to find out it wasn't a classic girl group hit from the 60's, but a big 80's country smash by Deborah Allen.

Miller's Farm- ZZ Top
This is the killer B-side to that killer A-side I posted earlier this week.

Don't Look Back In Anger- Oasis
The first time I heard this song was at a Tears For Fears concert at the Beacon Theatre. They played it as one of their encores and the crowd went wild. I was wondering why, since I thought I knew all of their music. My friend had to clue me in. "It's an Oasis tune." A copy of "Morning Glory" came through in a collection so I gave it a spin and was reminded of that TFF show. Still love this song and a it's a good one to close things out.

4 comments:

JAYESSEMM said...

Great mix -- thanks Sal.

Chris Bell always breaks my heart!

cmealha said...

The Sapphires tune is the big get for me. Great tune.

dogbreath said...

Good SOTW. "Don't Look Back In Anger" always works for me. A right little belter and the first single with Mr N Gallagher on lead vocal (on an A side anyway). Classic. Thanks for the zip.

Chris Collins said...

Totally with you on Big Star/Chris Bell. "I Am The Cosmos" is my favorite Big Star, even though it's not a Big Star song.