Saturday, October 16, 2021

Songs Of The Week, 2021: 10/9-10/15

 


 

Peaches En Regalia- Frank Zappa
Here Come Cowboys- The Psychedelic Furs
Big Blue Sun- Adrian Belew
No Class- Motorhead
These Stones Will Shout- The Raconteurs
Don't Make Promises- Timebox
Somebody's Forgetting Somebody- Paul Kelly & the Messengers

zip

Some quick notes as I have an early call for a record show tomorrow, hence the odd Saturday afternoon SOTW post.

"Peaches En Regalia" is the first song I ever remember hearing by Frank Zappa and still one I can listen to over and over.

I don't recall listening to The Raconteurs second album since its release in 2008, but I acquired a copy in a collection this month and gave it a spin. Man alive, what a great album!

And speaking of great records, Timebox's version of the Tim Hardin classic is pure genius.

Finally:

I went camping with three friends in 1983, two in one car and two in another. I spent a few days prior meticulously compiling mixed tapes for the trip. First song, first tape as we pulled out of the Holland Tunnel that early Saturday morning was "No Class" by Motorhead. My friend Vinny who was driving, heard the opening riff and said, "Oh wow, I love this song," thinking it was "Tush by ZZ TOP. The second Lemmy opened his mouth Vinny cried, "Oh wow, I hate this fucking song!"

True story!

(Everyone needs at least a little bit of Motorhead in their lives.)



4 comments:

dogbreath said...

Crikey! Zappa, The Furs, Timebox before they morphed into Patto, plus Motorhead (perfect for a Sunday morning). You spoil us! Had to pop on the eyeglasses to double check the Lenny for Lemmy thing you've got going on at the end there. Thanks & cheers for the zip.

Shriner said...

Yes, the 2nd Raconteurs album lived up to the promise of the first album. I think the 3rd is even better.

A Walk In The Woods said...

Great Motorhead story. Thanks for this mix!

hpunch said...

Big Blue Sun!!