Tuesday, November 23, 2021

My Black Friday RSD Highlights

 

 

Already released digitally, but getting a two-LP release for Record Store Day this Friday is "Georgia Blue" from Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit. As Isbell's liner notes read in the gatefold, "On Election Day 2020, when I saw that there was a good chance that Georgia might go blue, I came up with an idea: to record an album of Georgia-related songs as a thank you to the state and donate the money to a Georgia based non-profit organization." 

And so we have covers of the Allman Brothers, The Black Crowes with Crowes drummer Steve Gorman keeping time, James Brown, Gladys Knight & the Pips and R.E.M, and guest spots from Brandi Carlisle, John Paul White, Bela Fleck and Chris Thile. 

I wasn't familiar with all of the tracks, having not listened to enough Cat Power or having heard of Now It's Overhead at all. But I enjoyed the hell out of this record, especially the two tracks I have posted here, The Brothers "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed" up top and one of my favorites from "Automatic For The People," "Nightswimming" below.

The set is on blue vinyl, if that means anything to you. It doesn't to me.


 

 

 

 


 

Also getting its very first official release is the hall of fame Little Feat bootleg, "Electrif Lycanthrope," an absolute monster of a live set recorded at Ultrasonic Studios in New York in 1974. I haven't broken the seal on this yet, but this baby is on deck for today's listening.



Another first time vinyl release is from Chuck Berry's legendary sideman and piano player, Johnnie Johnson. This is being released in small quantities from Euclid Records. It's Johnson with help from Keith Richards, Schmendrick Clapton and on most of it, NRBQ. I loved this record when it first came out in 1991 and even got to see Johnnie play at the Lone Star Road House. Of course, everyone in the audience was hoping for an appearance by Keef or The Q, but we got neither. Giving it a spin for the first time in years was a thrill.  The vinyl pressing is superb, by the way. I featured the lead track as yesterday's Song Of The Day, but I could listen to it every day.





For you Todd Rundgren fans, #4 in my Rundgren Buyer's Guide Top 10 is getting a first time vinyl remaster from original analog tapes and cut by the brilliant Chris Bellman. "Healing," in a limited run of 4500---about 1000 more than it sold originally---has never sounded better. The shrill 80's sheen has been warmed up and I found myself, as always, falling deep into the beauty and space of this record. It includes the bonus 7" on blue vinyl, while the album proper is on clear vinyl.

 

 



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip on Georgia Blue. Streaming that now.

Johnny B Bad is excellent. I saw him at the Sweetwater back when it was first released. The performance was great. Johnny sure could play, as well as knock back the whiskey. He had at least 10 on the night, but it didn't seem to change his playing.

- Paul in DK

Troy said...

I'm going to actually venture out on Black Friday to try and pick up a copy of the Jason Isbell. Really hoping it has a d/l card in it, as it would be good to put it on my iPod.

Thanks for the reminder on the Little Feat bootleg. I'll have to find the box in the basement where all my boots are, and pull that one out.

And I have no idea where my CD copy of JJ is, but now I want to dig that one out too!

Happy turkey day to all BW readers in the U.S.

Sal Nunziato said...

Troy,
There is a DL card in the Isbell.

A Walk In The Woods said...

Cool! I'm a born and bred Georgia boy, so I brewed up a mix of my own for the same reason, back during the election time.

It's even got a few of the same songs on it that Jason Isbell picked!

Check it out:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/04hoyguuEQSG4zJT1Z4r97?si=8e68d8b6cb654bc5

kevin m said...

I'm loving the Jason Isbell Georgia covers album. And I haven't listened to the JJ album in so many years but I know I'll be giving it some time over the long weekend.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Troy said...

Thanks, Sal!

Chris S. said...

The Johnnie Johnson release is fantastic. Haven’t heard it in years. I won’t be making that mistake again.