Monday, November 22, 2021

Quickies: November '21

Brian Wilson's "At My Piano" is self-explanatory. What I can't explain is why I love this record so much. It isn't a particularly good recording. There is a demo quality to it all. But that must be some of the appeal. Wilson doesn't try to reinvent anything here. There are no bossa nova versions of favorite "Pet Sounds" tracks. It's Brian Wilson playing piano. He relies on the beauty of his melodies to carry the record and it is, in a word, stunning.






The sequel is rarely better than the original, but occasionally you get a winner. Bob and Ali are back with "Raise The Roof" and it's fab. I was a bit put off by the first single, a cover of Randy Weeks' "Can't Let Go." It wasn't bad, it just wasn't Lucinda Williams, who I think owns that track. But Plant and Krauss are terrific once again, especially Plant. I know all the diehard Zep fans still can't get beyond not seeing a reunion, but props to Robert for moving on. He and Krauss are made for each other and they sound wonderful on just about every track. The Anne Briggs cover above is a personal favorite, as is their cover of Bert Jansch's "It Don't Bother Me." The only misstep is the album closer, "Somebody Was Watching Over Me" which went on about two minutes too long and gave me the twitch.



 

 

A new NRBQ record is always an event. It's a guaranteed good feeling and with "Dragnet" they do not disappoint. They are, as always, unpredictably predictable, with each track covering previous ground in new ways. As always, there is great playing, great singing and good vibrations throughout. I do wish they'd get on the "Live Archive" bandwagon and start releasing complete live shows monthly. Having seen them countless times, I can attest that being there is the whole point. But I love this band so much, there just isn't enough music to be had. So "Dragnet" is a real gift.




7 comments:

A Walk In The Woods said...

So here's the nutty thang about the music industry these days. I'm a medium-level Beach Boys fan, and of an age where you'd think Google or Facebook or IG or somebody would have read my algorhythms and directed some marketing at me that Brian Wilson has this new record. But if not for BW, I'd have no clue. I'm always amazed by how appealing looking records (and this looks very appealing to me) pop up that I almost miss. Marshall Crenshaw's recent archival release is another one.

Led Zep is one of my favorites. I do not wish for them to reunite. Glad Robert has moved on. So I was stoked to see he's bringing this tour with Allison to the ATL in 2022. He's one of my few musical idols I've never seen in a show. Gotta be there.

NRBQ is a treasure. I don't love the cover artwork, but that's OK, I know the music will be great, including the one you posted.

Jim G said...

I've liked Robert Plant's solo stuff sporadically over the years (and love the first outing with Krauss) and I have enormous respect for his decisions to follow his muse, commercial prospects be damned.

Noam Sane said...

I tracked "Dragnet" yesterday on my dog walk and it is indeed an instant classic.

When will Terry Adams get his due? Somebody make a documentary, will ya?

And yeah, archives. Please.

Anonymous said...

What I admire about the Raising Sand/Raise The Roof projects is how they have really dug deep with their song selections rather than playing it safe just covering the 'hits'. That's pretty much the mantra of Plant's solo career - it's not about the singer, it's the song.

Randy

Stinky said...

I think Randy Weeks owns I Can't Let Go, off his classic album MADELINE. Essential!

Jobe said...

The Brian Wilson record has to be a contender for record of the year

Michael Giltz said...

The Robert Plant and Alison Krauss finally pushed The John Sally Ride aside (I needed to rest it, anyway) and it's terrific too. As good as the first, for sure.