Sunday, January 9, 2022

Songs Of The Week, 2022: 1/1-1/7

 


 

I Must Be High- Wilco
There She Goes, My Beautiful World- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Dick Around- Sparks
The Mystery's All Mine- Jules Shear
Perry Mason- Ozzy Osbourne
4% Pantomine- The Band
Crystal Ball- Prince

zip


I Must Be High- Wilco
How's this for a thought? Wilco's debut was once a favorite. But their slow transformation over each release since has somehow trained my ears and now when I hear "A.M." it sounds almost amateurish. I still love a handful of tunes, including this opener.

There She Goes, My Beautiful World- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
One of the rare Nick Cave songs that puts me in a good mood.

Dick Around- Sparks
I don't suppose if you've been on the fence about Sparks, that "Dick Around" will be the one to bring you to the Mael Brothers yard. But I think it's brilliant and felt like giving it a shot here.

The Mystery's All Mine- Jules Shear
From Jules Shear's masterpiece, "The Great Puzzle" that desperately needs a deluxe vinyl edition, please enjoy some pop perfection that sounds more than a little like John Sebastian's "Welcome Back."

Perry Mason- Ozzy Osbourne
One of coolest and heaviest and nastiest intros set to wax. I love this riff and this song. Turn it up!

4% Pantomine- The Band
I was listening to the new 50th anniversary remix of "Cahoots" and realized I like it a lot more than I thought I did. (The album, not the remix. Which is terrific, by the way. The remix, not the album. Which is better than...nevermind)

Crystal Ball- Prince
If you have the patience to let this one unfold, I promise you will be rewarded.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jules' The Great Puzzle on vinyl would be a welcomed addition to my stack. What a great album. What's he up to these days?

Nice mix, thanks!

Randy

Shriner said...

I was on the fence with Sparks until I heard "My Baby's Taking Me Home". "Dick Around" is pretty great, too.

A Walk In The Woods said...

Looking forward to hearing this!

hpunch said...

Dick Around is an absolute masterpiece

Anonymous said...

Austin City Limits had a good Hall of Fame episode this weekend (you can stream it if PBS is on your ROKU) - Wilco, Alejandro Escovedo and Lucinda Williams inducted, short sweet speeches by Isbell, Lenny Kaye and Roseanne Cash and too many stars in supporting rolls to list. best of all, more music than talking!

big bad wolf said...

i think the Wilco thought is exactly right

Gene Oberto said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for turning me on to Crystal Ball by Prince. I barely knew of the song's existence much less the LP it came from. Couldn't find the song as a single so I found it on the album and let it play on. OMG, what an album it is. This, IMO, may be Prince's "Houses of the Holy," What an absolute monster. He basically covers today's black music genre...in 1986! He is the undisputed GOAT.

David Handelman said...

Re: I must be high: I learned, watching the Austin City Limits Hall of Fame ceremony, that 1) the house band lap steel guitarist, Lloyd Maines, was reuniting with Wilco, because he played on that song and several others on AM; and 2) he is the father of Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks.
It was definitely a rushed album, Tweedy returns to the same handful of tracks off it, which sound much better now -- but I have only seen "Too Far Apart" once and I think it's a good one.