Thursday, January 6, 2022

Peter Bogdanovich, 1939-2022

 


 

I've written before about the celebrities who had frequented NYCD. From Ray Davies, Peter Buck and Noddy Holder to Ian McKellen, Bruno Kirby and Michael C. Hall, each visit was memorable for some reason or another. 

For example, I recall Kevin Bacon coming in three separate times and before he made it beyond the counter area, his phone rang and he left...all three times. Jonathan Demme would come in with his kids and all of them would have a blast picking out CDs, often coming up to the counter to ask questions. I once met Demme in CC's Coffee Shop in the French Quarter. Once I reminded him who I was, he warmed up and we sat and jabbed away over a cup of joe. It's a terrific memory.

But no one surprised me more than Peter Bogdanovich. He was larger than life. And I had been a fan for years. I am not one to approach anyone. I am the opposite of the fanboy. I don't want autographs or pictures. But after he asked about the jazz section, I couldn't help myself. 

"Mr Bogdanovich, I have been a fan for years. May I ask a question? I absolutely love 'The Thing Called Love' and often wondered why none of the actors' performances made the soundtrack."

Talk about the right question! He was wonderful. He thanked me and proceeded to tell me all about River Phoenix, how no one really got to see just how talented he was, how he was working on a special edition DVD of that film that may include the full musical performances, and more and more. I then mentioned his directing debut, "Targets" and how I loved that, as well.

He didn't have time right then, but he promised to discuss Boris Karloff on his next visit.

Peter Bogdanovich did come back for one more visit, but had even less time than his last. Again, he was incredibly friendly and approachable, but was more interested in finding some music.

It was only those two visits, but whenever I see one of his films, or most recently, an interview on TCM with host Ben Mankiewicz, I can't help but think how he spoke to me as if he knew me his whole life.

Thanks Peter.

12 comments:

jayway said...

Great story, Sal!

sloan wolf said...

Thanks for the story, Sal. Another good one, and not surprising about how engaging Bogdanovich was.

Losing him hurts. He was a wonderful director. I have gradually been making my way through his works over the years and just watched Paper Moon last month. A great film and great fun to watch as well. The Cat's Meow is underrated IMHO. As a child I watched Mask on HBO maybe a dozen times. I was a big fan of his appropriately indulgent Tom Petty documentary as well.

Another loss for us all is his scholarly recall of film history. He's like Scorsese in that he's a fan of movies first. Interviews with Bogdanovich are always worth the time as I always learned something about the history of cinema.

I met his daughter Antonia years ago and worked with her for awhile. She is a talented and kind person as well.

Peter will be missed. RIP

Anonymous said...

Yes, another great story. I just recently watched Picture Show for the first time in years... one of my all-time faves. He was quite a talent.

I only recently found out we also lost Larry McMurtry last year.

Randy

Guy Incognito said...

This reminds me that I need to watch the Tom Petty doc he directed

A Walk In The Woods said...

Very cool!

Anonymous said...

Great memories, Sal. My wife and I have been re-watching the Sopranos (haven't done that since the series ended). We've been enjoying Bogdanovich's appearances. He's fantastic whenever he's on screen.

Bill

cmealha said...

Glad to know he wasn't a dick. The only movie of his I had ever seen until recently was Paper Moon which I enjoyed immensely. For whatever reason, I passed on Last Picture Show when it was first released but saw it within the last year and loved it. I was always neutral about him except I hated that whole ascot thing. Never understood all the animosity directed at him. Glad to hear he wasn't a dick. Now I have to watch "The Thing Called Love".

dogbreath said...

Fab tales from your store days again. Always enjoyed any interviews I've seen with Bogdanovich, such passsion & knowledge, plus all the films listed above, although a particular favourite - because I'm a frivolous sort of chap - is What's Up Doc? Thanks for the post.

Mr. Baez said...

Sal, I always like to read the reminiscences of your shop. Thank you for this one on Peter Bogdanovich. The Last Picture Show is a motion picture masterpiece. Truly a piece of very fine art. I met Peter Bogdanovich several times in the 70s-80s. A kind, warm, intelligent and accessible man. Not aloof or stuffy at all. A very gifted and talented individual. His art lives on.

Michael Giltz said...

Thanks Sal! The Kevin Bacon bit is hilarious. Bogdanovich went three for three in the 1970s: Paper Moon, What's Up Doc and The Last Picture Show. All three on my best of the year lists for when they came out and Picture Show at the very top of 1971 and easily one of the best films of all time. Did you watch the Petty doc? Four hours and a friend who wasn't a Petty fanatic says it's great.

M_Sharp said...

Great stories, it's good to hear that any celebrity is friendly. I just watched "The Last Picture Show" two weeks ago, hadn't seen it in a while. Thanks for the tips, I just set the DVR for "Targets", I'll have to pay to watch "The Thing Called Love" so I'll keep an eye out for a little while to see if I can watch it for free, but it's by Bogdanovich, and it looks entertaining enough to rent.

David Handelman said...

What did he BUY?