Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Tonight I'm Gonna Party Like It's 1979

 




The memories attached to Kiss's 1979 release "Dynasty" are much better than the music found in the grooves. This is not to say I don't like this record. I do. I love this record. I love that it is a Kiss record in name only. I love that this record by a "quartet" has more musicians on it than a Ronettes single. I love the absolutely horrible Rolling Stones cover that is so bad it's brilliant. I love how, consciously or not, Bruce Springsteen ripped off the hit single from this record for what is arguably the worst song he has ever recorded. I love how Kiss fans believe all four members suddenly became excellent musicians overnight. I love how every note brings me back to East 19th Street in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn. I love this band And this album.

 


 

 


 

5 comments:

FD13NYC said...

I like Magic Touch from this album, and everything you said is spot on.

buzzbabyjesus said...

Thanks! I had no idea KISS covered the best Kinks song Mick and Keith ever wrote. That said, it's as bad as can be. As much as I love the song, I only got through half of it.
I had less patience for Bruce.

G said...

I happen to think that Stones cover is awesome! I mean, not in a so-bad-it's-good way--just plain awesome. I know--opinions, cowboy hats, yadda yadda.

I hated the big hit at the time, as I felt threatened by disco, but that threat is gone now, and I like that song now too (and lots of other disco).

Viva E. 19th St., Sal! (I live on E. 18th)

Shriner said...

Yay Dynasty!

In my vast collection of KISS albums, it is one of my favorites because its all over the map. It felt like a collection of (great) leftovers from the solo album projects. "Sure Know Something" and "Magic Touch" are awesome Power Pop songs and highlights. "Dirty Livin" is probably the best Peter Criss vocal since the first album. Ace's tracks are among his best, too.

But I can fully see why this album -- and then Unmasked -- would have turned off most hard-core KISS fans. And then Music From The Elder (which I also love unabashedly) would have put the nail in the coffin.

But I find that the most interesting 3-album run of the band. :-)

Christine said...

Ahhhh--East 19th Street! Where I watched a boy play drums in Marco's garage while he also sang the Sex Pistols' version of "My Way! KISS brings back tons of mostly great memories. Regarding your post--I just love how you always manage to say what we cannot put into words. You are SO right about "Outlaw Pete"! "Destroyer" and their debut Album "KISS" will always be my favorites, but you've made me want to listen to "Dynasty" RIGHT NOW! Thanks!