Sunday, February 6, 2022

Songs Of The Week, 2022: 1/29-2/4

 


(Whatever Happened To) Rock & Roll Girls- Silver Ginger 5
You're The Wish You Are I Had- XTC
Shake- The Time
Abandoned Luncheonette- Daryl Hall & John Oates
Who Are You- Tom Waits
Lovely- Suicidal Tendencies
Shanda Handa- The Wild Magnolias

zip

(Whatever Happened To) Rock & Roll Girls- Silver Ginger 5
Ginger Wildheart's one-off as the Silver Ginger 5 might be the best album he's ever released. I haven't heard this one in ages and it really held up. Pop/Glam/Metal/Thrash all at once. 

You're The Wish You Are I Had- XTC
Rewatched "This Is Pop," the XTC documentary last week and for some reason, this is the track I felt like hearing when it was over.

Shake- The Time
From "Graffiti Bridge," here is The Time (probably Prince with Morris Day) grooving with a cross between "96 Tears" and Tone Loc's "Wild Thing."

Abandoned Luncheonette- Daryl Hall & John Oates
VINYL NERD ALERT: I picked up a new remastered vinyl version of "Abandoned Luncheonette" recently, as my original needed an upgrade. It is quite stunning. The album never sounded better. And so, here is the title track, a Hall & Oates Top Ten for me.

Who Are You- Tom Waits
This was in the setlist the last time I saw Waits play at the Beacon Theatre and the next morning at the shop, there must have been a dozen customers who were at the show and they all had the same reaction---
"That version of Who Are You was something else!" Good memory.

Lovely- Suicidal Tendencies
Don't be afraid. This one's kinda funky.

Shanda Handa- The Wild Magnolias
It's Carnival Time, so the last word will go to The Wild Magnolias, speaking of "kinda funky."

4 comments:

hpunch said...

The hook of You're The Wish You Are I Had always sounded too close to the "Nothing"s Gonna Change My World" hook of Across The Universe.

cmealha said...

Just received my copy of the new Abandoned Luncheonette. Looking forward to hearing it. And "You're The Wish You Are I Had" is one of the more brilliant XTC cuts. I've been listening to the whole Tom Waits catalog recenently. Would have loved to have been there with you at The Beacon.

pp said...

I had heard that A.L. was used in audiofile shops to evaluate equipment for customers. Now they have pristine vinyl!

A Walk In The Woods said...

Suicidal Tendencies and H&O in the same mix - dig it!