Monday, February 7, 2022

The Pre-Queen Of Soul

 



Like those who believed "Dark Side Of The Moon" was Pink Floyd's first album or that "Rumours" was Fleetwood Mac's second, or that Meat Loaf only recorded two albums, "Bat Out Of Hell" and "Bat Out Of Hell II," there are those who think Aretha Franklin's debut was the 1967 Atlantic release, "I Never Loved A Man."

It could be argued that Aretha's career began with Atlantic Records, but to dismiss the early Columbia recordings with Ray Bryant and Clyde Otis would be unfair. The early records are not soul records, but they are full of soul. They have too much of a pop feel to be jazz. They swing a little too much at times to be rhythm and blues. This might be why the records never caught on. Where do we put Aretha Franklin?

But now that all is said and done, we could listen to the early Aretha records with a different set of ears. 

I recently...finally...picked up a copy of Aretha's Greatest Hits on Columbia, as it had most of what I wanted to hear in one collection and it was an instant fix. Plus, it was much more affordable than picking up the 11 CD set or the individual Columbia records, though I am not ruling out either of those purchases in the future.

 


 

I have been obsessing on and off ever since I heard "One Step Ahead" in the film "Moonlight." That song did a number on me and I tracked it down as being a single only. I had to have it. I knew "Running Out Of Fools" since 1986. Elvis Costello covered it during his Broadway run, and that was my introduction to that song. And if "Sweet Bitter Love" doesn't make your knees buckle and your heart shatter, please see a doctor.

The albums are admittedly uneven, with covers of songs like "Rock-A-Bye Your Baby" and "If Ever I Would Leave You" alongside the more soulful tracks. And though Aretha's versions are fantastic, it's probably best to leave that repertoire to Mandy Patinkin.

Still, there is a lot to love, especially if you are in the mood for Aretha, but just need something other than "Respect." 






6 comments:

cmealha said...

After listening to Aretha Gold I explored the Columbia Greatest Hits. No comparison but enough there to warrant getting it. Any excuse to hear that voice .

Michael Giltz said...

Ok, I've never paid her Columbia years any serious attention, esp after listening to one very uneven studio album. I'm in!

pmac said...

Been a fan of her early Columbia records for a long time. Always wondered if she had continued with Bryant would she have become as revered a jazz singer as Ella, Dinah or Nina.

Hugh Candyside said...

In 1967 my girlfriend at the time brought over a bunch of albums and asked me if I knew "Running Out of Fools." I said I'd heard of Aretha, "she's like Dionne Warwick, right?" She said "No. Dionne's a fine singer but this Aretha Franklin's a powerful, powerful woman. Maybe I don't want to move in with you."

drstu said...

thanks to you Sal for bringing up Arethas pre -Atlantic Columbia sides. Ive had some form of these(LP or CD), in my collection for years but when you think Aretha and you want something other than the usual , many of these tracks do the job , and who is going to argue with John Hammond, who signed her. There's a guys taste I wouldn't question. I conjure up a picture of a young Aretha in the studio, and no matter what she was singing, she must have blown a few minds as we used to always say.

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of "Yeah!!!" a live album from 1965.

Bruce H.