Sunday, March 6, 2022

Songs Of The Week, 2022: 2/26-3/4

 


Bedlam- Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Ain't Got Nobody- Grand Funk
Then She Said My Name- The Black Crowes
Piggy Pig Pig- Procol Harum
Rosetta- Allen Toussaint
Lover, You Should Have Come Over- Jeff Buckley
Silver Machine- Hawkwind

zip

Bedlam-Elvis Costello & The Imposters
A little over a month since "The Boy Named If" was released, and I still have EC on my mind. 

Ain't Got Nobody- Grand Funk
My friend is a friend of Bruce Kulick who is currently the guitarist in Grand Funk, as both Mel & Don still have issues with Mark Farner. He posted a short video of a sound check from this current tour and so of course, my ADD kicked in and I had to hear "We're An American Band." This deep cut surprised me. 

Then She Said My Name- The Black Crowes
This one is from my second favorite Black Crowes album, "By Your Side," which is apparently the least favorite of the band and many fans. I don't get it.

Piggy Pig Pig- Procol Harum
One more for Gary Brooker.

Rosetta- Allen Toussaint
This is simply beautiful and works perfectly anywhere, including the same mix as Grand Funk.

Lover, You Should Have Come Over- Jeff Buckley
If anyone at all, even just two of you, have any interest in knowing why I have been obsessed with mastering and cutting engineer Kevin Gray, Jeff Buckley's "Grace" is one of the best examples. Almost every copy I have owned on vinyl was muddy and lifeless. But not the Kevin Gray cut from 2010. There is a night and day difference. If you care, it can be found here. If you don't, then just listen to the song.

Silver Machine- Hawkwind
I'm reading Steve Jones' book "Lonely Boy: Tales From A Sex Pistol." I'll spare the gruesome details and just say, he mentions this song as one of the first that set him on a musical path and so here it is.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Other than the song Grace, I've only dipped my toe in the water listening to the album Grace but as I am also a big KGray fan I'm going to take the plunge.

Ordered, and thanks!

Randy

DLA said...

Damn.. Bruce Kulick with Grand Funk.. How the heck did that come to be I wonder.. I'll have to see if he's playing with Mark Farner or Mel and Don..

DLA said...

p.s. The link isn't working..

Sal Nunziato said...

Blintz,
Link is fine on my end.

And it's Bruce, Mel and Don, BTW.

dogbreath said...

Always a joy to hear Lemmy's dulcet tones on the Hawkwind classic. Man, did we head-bang stage front to that one! Great to contrast with the Elvis and Procol tracks in the mix. Cheers!

A Walk In The Woods said...

I'm a Jeff Buckley obsessive, so I'm interested... but, I may be the only Buckley obsessive who doesn't care much for his main recorded works. The one album I obsess over of his - as well as any boots that employ this solo style - is "Live at Sin-E."

Chris Collins said...

Also a friend of "By Your Side". I think it's a bit lower in my ranking than you, but the band is firing on all cylinders and Chris Robinson's vocals are incredibly soulful on that album particularly. I don't understand the hate for that one either.