Sunday, June 19, 2022

Songs Of The Week, 2022: 6/11-6/17

 


Baby It's You- The Beatles
Nearer To You- Betty Harris
Qualified- Dr. John
Back At The Chicken Shack- Jimmy Smith
The Act We Act- Sugar
You're The One That I Want- Lucy Woodward/Charlie Hunter
Soon You'll Be Gone- The Blues Busters

zip

Baby It's You- The Beatles
Robyn Hitchcock wrote a lovely piece about Paul McCartney for his birthday. I want to thank my hpunch for sending it along. Here's something from that piece that really hit home, "Why is it so hard to consider the individual Beatles as people in their own right, irrespective of their old colleagues? Because they were the team to end all teams - no group in showbiz has topped them in 60 years, and the further they recede into the past the brighter they shine." My sentiments exactly. And yes, this is a cover and John is singing lead, but a great example nonetheless and a song I just felt like hearing.

Nearer To You- Betty Harris
In a recent Uncut special edition that offers new reviews of Elvis Costello's entire catalogue, the writer who handled "The River In Reverse" mentions just about every track but this one, written by Allen Toussaint and here in its original form from Betty Harris.

Qualified- Dr. John
"Your social life ain't no better than my hot dog stand/Your edu-ma-cation ain't no hipper than what you understand/Your woman that you got she ain't no hipper than a hot loving band/I got the power to control/And I want to tell you now I'm qualified"

Back At The Chicken Shack- Jimmy Smith
What_Can_Brown, jazz collector I follow on Instagram, says this---"The title track is one of the grooviest blues tracks ever. Jimmy plays in a contained but soulful way as he sets up Kenny’s (Burrell) solo around the three and a half minute mark, and Jimmy’s accompaniment is just two vamping chords but it is sooo perfect. Turrentine follows with a wonderful statement of his own. It almost feels like they are dragging as the melody comes back in because they are playing so behind the beat. 

The Act We Act- Sugar
Found a cheap copy of "Copper Blue"  coupled with "Beaster" on a double LP. It has been a very looooonnnngg time since I played this baby and man oh man, did it kick my ass!  

You're The One That I Want- Lucy Woodward/Charlie Hunter
Grease is the word. And this cover from my friend Charlie Hunter with Lucy Woodward is the bomb...as the kids say.

Soon You'll Be Gone- The Blues Busters
This track is the happiest music I have heard all week. From 1967, please give it up for The Blues Busters, sounding like Sam & Dave if they spent a year in Jamaica instead of Memphis. 

 

 


Thought I'd put this up for any readers within the sound of my voice and neighborhood. 

I'll be slinging records for my buddy Joe of Hold Fast Records, Asbury Park. He will have his usual amazing and affordable assortment of vinyl, and I will use my charm and good looks to sell it.

If that is not enough reason to come on over, there are some great bands playing including Smokey Hormel's Round Up and Tape Hiss featuring original Modern Lover Ernie Brooks and Steve Shelley of Sonic Youth.

Plus, you know...food, drink and maybe even a pony ride. But please don't make the trip just for the pony ride.

The block party runs until 7:PM. I'll be working from opening until about 3PM.



 

1 comment:

JAYESSEMM said...

I love that Betty Harris!