Sunday, October 2, 2022

Songs Of The Week, 2022: 9/24-9/30


 

 

Pushin' Forward Back- Temple Of The Dog
Right On Time- Marshall Crenshaw
Paintbox- Pink Floyd
Simplicity- Tim Curry
Bhindi Bhagee- Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
Big Muff- John Martyn
Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)- Frank Wilson

zip

Pushin' Forward Back- Temple Of The Dog
As I mentioned in my recent post about St. Mark's Place, a few albums were heavily rotated by the staff at Smash CDs and like Soundgarden, this Temple Of The Dog record will always bring me back to that shop. If you don't know this record, I suggest giving it a spin. It's a lot less sinister than most of the Seattle grunge and metal it is associated with, almost jammy like Zep meets the Allmans at times.

Right On Time- Marshall Crenshaw
I read that YepRoc will be reissuing expanded editions of Marshall Crenshaw's Warner Brothers catalogue. I hope M.C. finishes up his post-WB reissue campaign at some point. "Jaggedland" is a fave and I'd love to see that gussied up for vinyl.

Paintbox- Pink Floyd
An early gem from The Floyd.

Simplicity- Tim Curry
This was a favorite of one my retail sales reps, who I happened to scroll past on Instagram and so it made me think of this track. Not something you'd expect from Mr. Curry.

Bhindi Bhagee- Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
The second deluxe box on Joe Strummer's post-Clash career has been released by Dark Horse, this one covering my favorite period, The Mescaleros years.

Big Muff- John Martyn
I am a little more than halfway through Chris Blackwell's memoir "The Islander." He discusses the talented and troubled John Martyn and how sending him off to Jamaica to cool out was a good idea that resulted in some serious hangs with Lee "Scratch" Perry. This track is one of the fruits from those meetings. 

Do I Love You (Deed I Do)- Frank Wilson
Might as well close out with the original version of Bruce Springsteen's new single.


This is it for me until Monday, 10/10. I'm taking a week to take care of some business and just maybe have a bit of fun while doing it. All of the side bars will be on vacation, as well, with the exception of "Now Playing," as I will always be listening to music. I will do my best to moderate comments, but there may be a bit of a lag, so be please be patient.

The blog will be in the very capable hands of BuzzBabyJesus while I'm gone, so please show him some love.


10 comments:

wool said...

Enjoy some time off. I never did myspace or facebook because I always felt you had to keep it updated which I had no desire to get into that circle of hell. As you say...Will always be listening to and reading about music. Have an umbrella drink
(or 3).............

pmac said...

Enjoy the week! Been a little off this week, dealing with a 3rd bout of covid (fully vaxed - not as bad as the 1st bout, but worse than the 2nd). Love that Strummer period, too. Odd choice for Dark Horse but glad they did it.

efredd said...

Vacate. Levitate. Cogitate. Relaxicate.

kevin m said...

Enjoy the break Sal.

A Walk In The Woods said...

Thanks for this ... enjoy your well-earned vaca!

Michael Giltz said...

Mental health break! :) Enjoy yourself.

Mr. Baez said...

Have fun.

Anonymous said...

Crack open a cold one for me!

Randy

heartsofstone said...

Have a great time.

M_Sharp said...

Enjoy! Definitely have some fun!