Monday, November 28, 2022

Roy & Jeff


 

It's fair to say that I am a huge fan of both Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne, even if both tend to go off the rails a bit, with Roy ending a few too many perfect pop tunes with a bagpipe solo or an Irish jig, and Jeff never moving his snare drum setting off of "splat." But I was surprised to find something out last week that seems to be old news. 

The first ELO record and the last Move record, "Message From The Country" were recorded at the same time.

How did I not know this? 

Apparently, The Move record was a contractual obligation recorded simultaneously with ELO-1, or as it is known in the USA "No Answer," so that Roy and Jeff would be able to move forward and release the new music as ELO.

Neither of those records are considered the best by either band, but I happen to love both. They each have filler, but they also have some truly excellent tracks.

Now that I know this shocking news, which is even on Wikipedia for Pete's sake, (Where the hell have I been?), I thought it would not only be appropriate but essential to put together a mix of both, with the aforementioned fat cut.

One problem:

Burning Wood has only been challenged for posting music three times in 14 years by artist management. Melody Gardot. (That's right. Melody Gardot.) Alice Cooper. And, you saw this coming...The Move.

So, at the risk of pissing off even more people, I am going to suggest the tracklist and sequencing, and if you are at all interested in what I think is now a perfect early Roy Wood/Jeff Lynne record, you can create your own playlist and I can stay out of trouble. (Though, even money says, something, somehow will be my fault, anyway.)

ROY WOOD & JEFF LYNNE- NO ANSWER FROM THE COUNTRY
10538 Overture
Message From The Country
Look At Me Now
Ella James
Whisper In The Night
Nellie Takes Her Bow
No Time
The Words Of Aaron
Chinatown
Queen Of The Hours
Tonight

12 comments:

buzzbabyjesus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
buzzbabyjesus said...

I've known about the connection between those albums for a long time, but never thought of making a mixtape. Duh!
I'd be tempted to include songs like "Down On The Bay", "California Man" from "Split Ends", from the original US release of "Message", and my first Move album, which I bought in 1974.
I confess I've always loved "Don't Mess Me Up", too.

Sal Nunziato said...

I think I may be the only fan who did NOT know the connection.
(I like "Don't Mess Me Up," too, but it doesn't fit.)

Almost included "California Man" but thought it was recorded too long after the other sessions. Looking at it now, it would make a great closer.

Sal Nunziato said...

And, it was released a year later, with "Do Ya," also considered. Maybe it doesn't fit after all.

Anonymous said...

there's tons of Melody Gardot shit on youtube that i don't ask for but get suggested; she should fire her mgt.

M_Sharp said...

I read that a while ago, I don't remember where at this point. Good mix, I'll add "Until Your Mama's Gone" and close with "Don't Mess Me Up" on mine. I'd probably drop "Queen Of The Hours". Maybe I'll stop typing and make my own damn mix instead of butchering yours...

soundsource said...

the list demands a playlist (please)

buzzbabyjesus said...

"Do Ya" came immediately to mind, and even though I like The Move version better, I didn't consider it because it's kind of an ELO '77 song now.

Shriner said...

I would not have guessed Alice's management was that concerned about stuff. Go figure...

Sal Nunziato said...

Shriner,

"I'll Bite Your Face Off" was the offending track. I think I said something like "Don't be put off by the title, this is a great song."

Anonymous said...

Didn’t know the back story of these albums either. As you know I’m a huge fan of both, bagpipes, snares and all. I agree that there is some fat to be trimmed for both. Thanks for the suggestion.

Shriner said...

"I'll Bite Your Face Off" *is* a great song! :-)