Sunday, November 27, 2022

Songs Of The Week, 2022: 11/19-11/25

 


Waitin' On You- Steve Earle
I've Seen The Saucers- Elton John
Gotta Get Away- Rolling Stones
Fear- Trouble
Satellite- Eddie Vedder
Heroes & Villains- Geraint Watkins
Bittersweetheart- Soul Asylum

zip

Waitin' On You- Steve Earle
I have Bessie Smith 78s that don't sound as dated as records from the 80's. Steve Earle's "Copperhead Road" is no exception, but I love it anyway. This track should have been a huge MTV hit. I mean, it beats Def Leppard at their own game.

I've Seen The Saucers- Elton John
Anyone watch the live stream of Elton's final US concert last week? It was pretty damn good. He didn't do this track. As a matter of fact, he has never played this track in concert in over 50 years of performing. From "Caribou," a much better record than most remember, this is my favorite from the album, and one of my Top 10 Elton tracks of all.

Gotta Get Away- Rolling Stones
Listened to "December's Children" last week. That is all.

Fear- Trouble
Trouble began as a Christian metal act, but that didn't last long. Thanks to Rick Rubin, the band released two highly acclaimed records that are considered the best of their kind. I certainly think so, because these records are not just for headbangers. Both "Trouble" and "Manic Frustration" manage to take the heaviness of Black Sabbath and offer it up with occasional Beatles' chords and 70's psychedelia. I know this is a hard sell, but what the hell? You only live once.

Satellite- Eddie Vedder
I checked out this track because I thought it might be a cover of Tommy Stinson's Replacements b-side. That made more sense than finding it was a sweet little Vedder ballad.

Heroes & Villains- Geraint Watkins
A cover too cool for the sidebar. (Cover. Cover. Cover. COVER!!)

Bittersweetheart- Soul Asylum
From my favorite Soul Asylum album, "Let Your Dim Light Shine," this one has enough hooks to snag a porgy.

8 comments:

cmealha said...

I agree with you on the Elton John cut. My absolute favorite. I can't understand why he never performed it.

Noel M said...

I've never been much of a fan of early Stones, so I'll enjoy hearing the song you included - I don't know it.

Squints said...

Did EJ's track come after Kantner's "Have You Seen The Saucers" on Dragonfly? 1974, right? So probably coterminous. Which is kind of a shame. Because that would be hilarious.

Predates Klaatu, though, right?

Sal Nunziato said...

The Kantner track was def earlier than Elton, 1970.

Squints said...

Wow. Just checked my copy of DragonFly. Completely absent. Call me Lanolin, because I'm...sheepish. Way older than I remember. Sorry, Sal.

Shriner said...

Ah "Dragonfly" -- time to pull out my Jefferson Starship albums for a relisten. I once made a compilation of all of Kantner's songs from Dragonfly through Nuclear Furniture and I loved it. I need to dig that up...

Chris Collins said...

I love that you like "Let Your Dim Light Shine" as much as I do.

And the Elton John show was killer

M_Sharp said...

Great cover cover etc. by Geraint Watkins! RIP Wilko, he was one of a kind. The current lineup of Dr. Feelgood released an album recently, it's good, but it's probably impossible to match the earlier bands.