Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Every Loser: It Takes Three


 

While I love that Iggy Pop can still make an album like this, I wasn't sure I liked this album, at least not on the first two spins. "Every Loser" is loud and fast, courtesy of a band that features members of Guns N' Roses, Pearl Jam, Jane's Addiction and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. But as one person commented on my Instagram post a few weeks ago, "Why does Iggy continually dumb down on the lyrics?" The lyrics on this record, at times, are cringemaking.

But that's Iggy, I guess. And I guess by the third listen, "exploding turds" didn't bother me as much, because I was really enjoying the album as a whole.

You will hear classic Stooges riffs, some "I Wanna Be Your Dog" piano and even some Iggy crooning on "Every Loser." It's hard and tight and it is not short on hooks.

Check out "The Regency" up top and "Morning Show" below, whcih happen to be my two favorite songs on the record. 

I think my initial passes through "Every Loser" were tainted by the "Iggy's Back" hype. I gave the record a two week rest and really had a great time with it third time around.





6 comments:

Shriner said...

This album and the Margo Price have set a good tone for 2023 so far.

buzzbabyjesus said...

Iggy said, probably in "Please Kill Me", that he tried to use fewer than 200 words on "The Stooges". He really wanted to limit the vocabulary. Sounds like a "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" to me.

Noel M said...

Thanks for putting this on my radar!

Jobe said...

The man is an American treasure. Keith Richards? The Ig? What's in these guy's blood?

M_Sharp said...

It's a good album. Iggy says a lot of bad words, I suppose to show that he's still a bad boy. Sounds like he didn't enjoy The Regency.

dogbreath said...

So exploding turds (and who hasn't experienced a few of those over the years?) may not, in my ears, stand comparison to, say, Wordsworth's "I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud" but it is Iggy after all and the old rascal's still got fire in the belly. Rock on Mr Osterberg! Cheers!