Monday, February 13, 2023

Bad Apples- NSFW

 

 

 

Back in December, I wrote about "The Recent Future," the fantastic new album by Alex McMurray. Alex, while not originally from New Orleans, has been a major force in the New Orleans music scene since 1989. His music over the years has included priceless records with All That, The Tin Men, 007 and my first entry into his world, Royal Fingerbowl. His presence in the studio and on the live scene, has made all of his collaborators just a bit better.

There is one song, though, that I just can't hear enough. It was introduced to me by a friend and long time New Orleans devotee as "hilarious and so effin' nasty." That song is "Bad Apples." It is indeed hilarious and effin' nasty. I still occasionally say "Wow" out loud to no one when I hear certain lines. It's got a badass groove to boot, and is easily one of the top songs that brings me right back to New Orleans.

Happy Monday everybody!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had just finished listening (for the first time) to Burt Bacharach's Hit Maker! (1965) which is good though too heavy on treacly strings for me. Then I stopped by Burning Wood and gave Bad Apples a spin. Talk about a contrast!

That's a ripping bit of greasy rock and roll. Makes me want to eat a big plate of jambalaya.

- Paul in DK

Whattawino said...

Wayta-rok-a-Monday!

pmac said...

My former neighbor when I lived in NO. My wife and I got married at our house, and held a party immediately after the ceremony, at which many of our musician friends, including Alex, played. Our elder relatives in attendance were not amused when they discovered that a Haitian voodoo priestess was performing the wedding, but Alex made it up to them by playng his song, "Jesus Always Gets His Man." Thankfully, the elders only understood the refrain and not the rest of the words.

buzzbabyjesus said...

I dig it. Reminds of Ry Cooder at his best.

David said...

Very nice, thank you.

Anonymous said...

Really dug The Recent Future after you posted that awhile back - this is just as good.

Thanks!

Randy

BlueStaxBoy said...

I was fortunate to find the CD cheaply (on Discogs) and it arrived today. It's going to get a lot of plays. Thanks Sal for another essential discovery.

M_Sharp said...

That was a fine album, like it's predecessor. Thanks for another reminder, I'm definitely going to his site to place and order.

Christine said...

This made me gasp, laugh out loud and finally play the song over again. Thank you!