Sunday, February 12, 2023

Songs Of The Week, 2023: 2/4-2/10


 

Killer Diller- The Skatalites
Waterfall- Electric Light Orchestra
As It Is When It Was- New Order
Postcard- Blossom Toes
Angel Eyes- Roxy Music
One Cool Remove- Shawn Colvin & Mary Chapin-Carpenter
God Give Me Strength- Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach

zip

 

Killer Diller- The Skatalites
Two excellent new compilations were released a few weeks ago by Trojan Records, one showcasing the legendary Maytals and one showcasing the legendary Skatalites. I highly recommend both. Let's get started on the good foot with one from The Skatalites, sure to put some pep in your step.

Waterfall- Electric Light Orchestra
One of my favorite ELO deep cuts.

As It Is When It Was- New Order

"Low-life" just received a huge super deluxe treatment, but I personally love the records before and after it a lot more. This is from the one after, "Brotherhood."

Postcard- Blossom Toes

Did you know Harry Nilsson covered this Blossom Toes track? It was featured last week on the Cover Of The Day sidebar. Listen to the original, a killer slice of Brit pop.

Angel Eyes- Roxy Music

There isn't a lot of love for 1979's "Manifesto" and I don't get it. I think it's one fine record. It's also the last Roxy Music album to sound like Roxy Music before they became Bryan Ferry's backing band.

One Cool Remove- Shawn Colvin & Mary Chapin-Carpenter

I hadn't heard of this song or of the song's writer Greg Brown before Shawn Colvin recorded this with MCC for her "Cover Girl" record. It's a beauty with some amazing close harmony from the singers.

God Give Me Strength- Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach
For Burt.


When you're through listening to this week's fine selection of dailies, head over to Showbiz Sandbox. I was honored to be asked by Michael Giltz and J. Sperling Reich to discuss the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, the Best Records of 2022 and the shutting down of Bruce Springsteen's 43 year old fanzine "Backstreets," among other things on their podcast. In between my whining and stammering, you might actually hear something entertaining. Check it out over here.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I listened to Manifesto not too long ago, for the first time in a couple of years. I was struck by the two parts of the album--those songs that were more closely linked to the past Roxy of the first couple of albums, and those songs that were anticipating the Ferry backing band era, as you pointed out. Not my favorite Roxy album, but it ain't too bad, either.

Dance Away is a great single.

Bill

Noel M said...

I wonder if I'm the only one - the link's not working for me. My interwebs are working in general.

Anonymous said...

zip not downloading gives error message server not found?!

Sal Nunziato said...

Sorry about that!
My fault.
Working now.

Noel M said...

Got it - and thanks!

Noel M said...

Sorry for the flurry of messages, but just an FYI ... it started to DL for me, then I got a message saying it's a potential security risk. I haven't seen that message before so not sure what's up.

Sal Nunziato said...

Noel,
I get that message often, not just on my site. You know it's coming from me, and there is no risk. I'm guessing it's just a precaution, possibly due to a setting on your conmputer.

Noel M said...

For sure in terms of no risk from you. At first I thought my over-vigilant computer wouldn't allow a DL, but I just found a button that lets it go thru and it has landed.

cmealha said...

Waterfall is in the top 5 ELO songs of all time.

Keith35 said...

Until Jethro Tull or King Crimson get a nomination (both well deserved)I have no use for the Hall of Fame anymore

Rick said...

Greg Brown is one fine songwriter, and the harmony from this duo is just lovely.

Joe said...

Enjoyed your podcast Sal. Only if the R&R HOF was like the baseball HOF where you need a certain percentage of votes to get in and in some years, no one gets in. The best of the mediocre should not get in. Not sure if Weather Report is in, but they should be. More rock than some of the other genres.

Michael Giltz said...

Thanks for sharing the link, Sal! It was a blast having you on. Anyone interested, Sal's interview starts at around the 41 minute mark.