Monday, March 20, 2023

New And F**king Badass: Krasno/Moore's "Book Of Queens"

 

Long time readers know that I have been singing the praises of Stanton Moore for over twenty years. The first time I saw him behind the drums was at an in-store performance at the Louisiana Music Factory, showcasing the music from his 2001 release "Flyin' The Koop." It changed my life. Not just because it was music that seemed new to me, having only been to New Orleans twice at this point and still oblivious to that special mix of funk, jazz and soul that is rarely replicated in any other city, but as a drummer, because while most musicians strive to be better, once I saw Stanton play, I wanted to trade my kit in for a kazoo.

Since then, Stanton Moore has released some of my favorite music of all time. Whether with his trio, or with the avant-funk collective Garage A Trois with Charlie Hunter and Skerik, or with New Orleans' treasure Galactic, Moore's playing always, ALWAYS takes the performances to levels that I don't believe could be achieved with a different drummer.

Moore is not about flash, though he can be when the time is right. Stanton is about creating a groove, a pocket so deep, you'll need a miner's helmet to get out, and on his just released new record, "Book Of Queens," credited to the Krasno/Moore Project, he along with Soulive/Lettuce guitarist extraordinaire Eric Krasno pay tribute to some very special women with a set of unique interpretations of songs by Amy Winehouse, Nina Simone, Brittany Howard, Aretha Franklin, H.E.R, Billie Eilish and more on a session recorded at Levon Helm's studio. It is New Orleans funky, occasionally greasy, and at times stunningly beautiful.

Krasno's tone can sound like Jeff Beck or Duane Eddy, even Jimi if you get lost in the music and let it take you there. His playing is stellar throughout, but of course, I am listening harder to Stanton. He has never disappointed and on "Book Of Queens," he just might have outdid himself. I've always thought of Stanton Moore as New Orleans' version of John Bonham. He hits hard, rarely shows off, and he is easily identifiable. But I think that may sell Stanton short. Sometimes it is what he doesn't play, that extra second of space, that New Orleans-only drag and stutter on the snare that changes the whole damn vibe of the song. It's 2023, and I don't think there is a better or more versatile drummer than Stanton Moore. He is even recording a new record with doom-metal legends Corrosion Of Conformity, for Pete's sake.

Krasno/Moore get a little help on this project from Eric Finland, Corey Henry and Branford Marsalis and as of today, "Book Of Queens" is my favorite record of the year. Even if a few more extraordinary records get released, nothing will be better than the hesitation at the 1:14 mark of "Carried Away." It happens a few times and I screamed with pleasure each time. This is the very definition of bad ass.

 









11 comments:

Noel M said...

Fantastic. I have some buddies I've been to N'Awlins with and we've seen Stanton together - just texted to them and it will make their day.

I also like hearing Brittany Howard's "Stay High" becoming a "new standard" perhaps - this is the second cover I've heard of it already. It was my favorite song of 2019.

Looks like the record itself isn't released until October - making a note.

Joe said...

Very, very good stuff. Looking forward to the October release. Loved the "Levon Helm Studio" logo on his bass drum.

Anonymous said...

Those three tracks are a ton of fun and groove like crazy. I've seen Krasno as part of Lettuce with guest guitarist John Scofield, which was a magical night of funk. Hard to go wrong with Stanton on the kit and a great studio like Helm's. Thanks for the tip!

- Paul in DK

Christine said...

I know ugatz about drums, but these certainly were bad ass, while still being so easy and pleasant to listen to.

pmac said...

@Noel M - whole thig is streaming now. No need to wait till Oct. Sal - agreed. Its a monster lp.

Noel M said...

@pmac - I'm unusual in that I'm not a streamer, and not much of an MP3'er. Old school hardcopy person. But that is cool that it's available to hear already.

Anonymous said...

This sounds fucking great, though bummed to have to wait until Oct. for the record.

Many thanks for the heads-up!

Randy

jmills said...

https://archive.org/search?query=krasno+moore

From Archive.org, a Sound
board copy from 3-10-2023 live from Ardmore Music Hall. Enjoy

steve simels said...

Great stuff. And played with such deceptive nonchalant ease that makes me despair of ever picking up an instrument again.😎

Sal Nunziato said...

Thanks for that link, jmills!

Mr. Baez said...

Oh, I like that.Thank you.