Friday, May 26, 2023

Adam Deitch's Big Quartet

 





Adam Deitch is the drummer for Lettuce, a jam band crowd favorite, but not a band I have ever really cared for that much. They are fine players, but more times than not, they leave me cold. I've seen them throw crowds into a frenzy, but what I hear is what I imagine those who don't like jam bands hear--just a lot of riffing and noodling with little substance. Still, when I see Deitch's name as part of an ensemble, I am intrigued because he is a fantastic drummer. While listening to WWOZ New Orleans radio a few weeks ago, Adam Deitch was a guest and they played a track from his 2019 release "Egyptian Secrets" and I wanted to hear more. The record is billed as the Adam Deitch Quartet, but it felt much bigger. 

The band features Lettuce alumnus Eric "Benny" Bloom, an excellent trumpet player who I have seen play with more people in New Orleans than I have with his own band, the great Wil Blades on organ, and Ryan Zoldis on sax, who was new to me. Legendary jazz guitarist John Scofield guests on a few tracks, as well. I found this whole record to be a breath of fresh air. It's melodic. It swings. It gets funky. But most of all, it feels like a jazz record, with real compositions and arrangements and not some tossed off jam session. There is even a groovy Michael Jackson cover.

 

 

Give these tracks a chance and hopefully you will dig them enough to give all of "Egyptian Secrets" a spin. I really enjoyed the whole vibe of this record.

 

 

 

 

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw Lettuce once with John Scofield. Excellent show focused mainly on Sco's songs. Deitch and Scofield have played together on and off over the years. Both are seriously talented. These ADQ tracks are a lot of fun. Thanks for the heads-up.

- Paul in DK

Anonymous said...

Never heard of Adam... this sounds really, really good.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Randy

pmac said...

Hell, that is a jazz record! Many thanks, Sal.

kevin m said...

Love that Michael Jackson cover!

Keith35 said...

Good stuff. I just ordered the vinyl

M_Sharp said...

I'm not much of a jazz fan, and I don't know Adam Deitch or Lettuce, but I like these songs a lot and want to hear more. It's like you said- melodic, swings, and funky.

Christine said...

I don't know much about jazz, although I've always thought it made nice dinner music. I did really enjoy "The Way You Make Me Feel" and I can appreciate the talent.