Saturday, May 20, 2023

BW's 150: 31-40

 


THE COUNTDOWN CONTINUES....

We have reached the Top 40! 

I know some of my selections up until now have left some of you scratching your heads, and I imagine a number of songs in my Top 40 will have you using both hands. But I will explain to the best of my ability why these songs mean the world to me, and maybe you will hear what I hear, if you aren't already on board.

These songs are sequenced in optimum playing order, not by rank. 

 

Somebody To Love- Queen
I was on board with Queen from their second album. I fell head over heels with "Sheer Heart Attack." Then, "A Night At The Opera" took over the world. So hearing "Somebody To Love" released as the first single from "A Day At The Races" was somewhat of a shocker. I didn't love it. Was I going to love anything after "A Night At The Opera?" Even after finding some amazing tracks on "A Day At The Races," "Somebody To Love" still wasn't one of them. It took Freddie Mercury's death and the endless tributes and film clips for me to get this song. Queen weren't the greatest live band. They simply could not recreate the studio magic on stage, and Freddie rarely made that brilliant falsetto work in performance. But "Somebody To Love" was a consistant showstopper. I think Freddie saved it all up for this song, gave it everything, and then rolled the dice with everything else in concert. It's become one of my 3 favorite Queen songs and still makes the hair on my neck stand up.

Something- The Beatles
"Dis is a love song dat never says da words, I love you," said Frank Sinatra. He also referred to it as a Lennon & McCartney song. I love the song, but this song is only just okay without Paul's gorgeous bass line and George's guitar solo. Both are stunning.

(Love Is Like A) Heat Wave- Martha & The Vandellas
The intro alone makes this an all time favorite. It's 30 seconds of magic. The music is so iconic, it's hard to believe people are making those sounds. This song evokes everything good about life.

I Can See For Miles- The Who
Another from my favorite album of all time. This really doesn't belong on "The Who Sell Out." As a matter of fact, nothing before or after by The Who sounds quite like this song. The arrangement is a bitch, too. I tried playing it with The Hard Copies, and almost every section is different than the one before it. Again, lightning in a bottle!

America- Simon & Garfunkel
This songs builds beautifully. It's an epic movie in a little under four minutes.
"Kathy, I'm lost", I said, though I knew she was sleepingI'm empty and aching and I don't know why"
Damn.

Willin'- Little Feat
It was recorded twice. This is the slower, full band version found on "Sailin' Shoes." Lowell George played this for Zappa while he was in the Mothers and Zappa said he should go form a band. So he did. It's a beauty and I never tire of it.

Suspicious Minds- Elvis Presley
If you listen to the original by Mark James, you will hear exactly why this is a brilliant record. From the opening guitar picking, which isn't on the original, the female backing vocals, the false ending, this, again, sounds like nothing else. It's fantastic record making that feels like a genre in itself. My favorite Elvis song.

Reflections Of My Life- Marmalade
How great is the record? I was six and it made me nostalgic! All involved nailed it. If you have good memories, and you miss friends, family and your old home, well, this is the song for you.

September Song- Erroll Garner
I do love melancholy music. There are hundreds upon hundreds of versions of this song, but the one that sealed the deal for me was the arrangement played in Woody Allen's "Radio Days." It's uncredited and after years of research, I found out in a very odd way who performed it. I was in a Chinese restaurant near the Beacon Theatre with my friend Derek, another Woody diehard and we were talking about his films. Once again, I mention "September Song" and the woman sitting next to us interrupts: "I don't mean to be eavesdropping, but I work for Woody Allen. That version of September Song in Radio Days was recorded along with a number of other songs by Dick Hyman and his small orchestra." When I asked why it wasn't credited, she said, "It's probably stock, in the music library for anyone to use." I don't know how true that was, but I do know, when a song about the "precious few days left" in a man's life can still be effective as an instrumental, you know you've got something special. This version by Erroll Garner is close to that film arrangement.

Both Sides Now- Jason Falkner
Let me explain. First, I am not a fan of ironic cover versions. I don't want to hear death metal versions of Abba, or acoustic versions of Black Sabbath. Though, John Wesley Harding's acoustic take on Madonna's "Like A Prayer" knocked me out, and I believe it was the first of these ironic covers. But Jason Falkner's power pop take on Joni's classic is something truly brilliant. It begins with a "Yee Ha" and right off the bat you might think, "This is not going to work." But Falkner is too smart. He knows how to wriggle his way into your wheelhouse. The second verse adds a high and low harmony that is to die for and the second chorus adds "oohs and aaah." Third verse, he sings in a higher register that shifts in and out of falsetto and raises the bar yet again! Finally, the breakdown before the coda into "No no no no NO! Why why why why WHY?" More "oohs and aaahs!" Jeez, it's a smorgasbord of power pops tricks and a big risk taker that I think works on every level! That is why it is in my Top 40! It's gets bigger and better with each verse.

zip

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can still see the multi-blue colored London Records label when I think of the Marmalade track - great pick, one of may fave oldies songs.

Jason F. has a many great covers, including your choice. I really love DL's Photograph.

Sorry, Sal, but though I enjoyed Keep Yourself Alive and Liar from their debut, I was never able to go down the Queen road. Some while back, I listened to a Queen mix you posted of some of their later stuff - but, alas, it just didn't take for me.

Another great installment - I'm not familiar with E. Gardner's version of September Song, so looking forward to that.

I really enjoy the narratives for your selections.

Randy

Rick said...

"The world is
A bad place
A bad place
A terrible place to live
Oh, but I don't want to die"
...just brilliant. And Dean Ford's cover of his own song, done late in his life, is simply and hauntingly beautiful:
https://youtu.be/Dn9bAvWS4RU

Shriner said...

This set has the last two songs on my list from the 2000s. It’s getting harder to say anything other than “these are goddamn great songs”, but I’ll try. I do have to say a good number of Sal's list today were cut from my 150 when I had to start making cuts and I am trying not to go modify my Top 30 because of that (I still can't believe I cut "Something" and "Suspicious Minds" from my list...those were *hard* cuts...) My 31-40


Him Or Me - What's It Gonna Be? -- Paul Revere & The Raiders. My dad had a bunch of 45s and when I discovered his record collection, I didn’t know anything about the Raiders at the time, but I wanted to play it because of the interesting title. And I loved it. Acapella sections! Guitars that played notes and not just strumming chords! Cool descending bass line in the chorus! Those 3 hits on the toms in the chorus! Sha-La-Las! Indecipherable (at the time) background vocals that didn’t just repeat the foreground lyric. Blew my 10-year-old mind that pop songs were constructed like this.

Go All the Way -- Raspberries. I have other songs I consider PowerPop on my list still to come. But I could make an argument that this is the *definitive* PowerPop song. It built on everything that came before it and every PowerPop band after it owes a debt to it. I give high points to songs that took me an extra long time to figure out how to play (before the internet came along). The chords go *all over the place* and it’s amazingly structured. Come on, come on!

Chicago -- Sufjan Stevens I was late to this album (as I have been to too many others). I’m from Michigan and while I enjoyed Sufjan’s album about it, it didn’t wow me. “Illinoise”, though, knocked me out. “John Wayne Gacy Jr”, made me cry. “Chicago”, though, gave me goosebumps all the way through it. I made a lot of mistakes (hah) and one was not finding this album the day it came out so I could have loved it that much longer.

Flavor Of The Week -- American Hi-Fi. I don’t have much to say about this other than: man, that hook! I love songs that crunch like this with amusing lyrics and a chorus to die for.

Don't Worry Baby -- The Beach Boys. This is everything I like about early Beach Boys in one package. That falsetto is…(I have no words…)

Runaway -- Del Shannon. Speaking of falsettos… All guitar players should love this song. Anybody can start playing this and everybody starts singing "I wah-wah-wah-wah-wonder..." One of the best rock/pop songs in the pre-Beatles era. Only 2:20 (the third shortest song on my list of 150) and every second counts!

Sweet Talkin' Woman -- Electric Light Orchestra. Why this ELO song above all others? I think it’s the structure of the chords in the chorus and verses. Or those background vocals. I don’t know — it works for me more than any other ELO song. The choir in my high school (which I was not part of) did a great version of this, too, so it has a strong memory attached. I’m a sucker for a D minor/E minor change — what can I say?

Go Your Own Way -- Fleetwood Mac. If you are not going to go “All The Way”, then you go “Your Own Way”. The delivery of that great kiss-off lyric from the brilliant opening line. The chiming guitars and a great bass line made this *the* Mac song for me.

Baker Street -- Gerry Rafferty. My love of 70’s pop music strikes again. There’s that indelible classic Sax riff that immediately immerses you in the song and is one of the few instrumental choruses in a big hit pop song I can think of. And a soaring guitar solo! But the downer lyrics are why this song has always worked for me.

Bad Time -- Grand Funk Railroad. Being from Michigan, GFR gets a bad rap from outsiders sometimes (“The shirtless vocals of Mark Farner…” dig from the Simpsons is spot-on!). But this short heavenly slice of minor-chord break-up pop that’s nothing like anything else they released? It’s right in my pocket.

Tinpot said...

Great selection, as always. Even for the ones I'm very familiar with I rush to Youtube to hear with fresh ears. Take that as a tribute to your writing/analysis/enthusiasm.
Thank you.

Michael Giltz said...

So many great songs and stories and insights.

Queen -- I'm surprised to hear you say they weren't very good live. Mind you, I never saw them in concert myself. But it was Live Aid where I first got into Queen, since they had a ridiculously early slot in the afternoon in London. The show was sleepy until then and they absolutely killed it, with the crowd surging with excitement. Even the silly "Radio Gaga" was awesome in that context. So I just assumed they were amazing in concert. They were for at least one day. I love a lot of their singles but haven't really dug into the albums yet. Go figure! I did sit next to Brian May at a performance of the all-male Swan Lake in London. During the interval, he said, "Freddie would have loved this." Duh. :)

Something -- I think it's a great standard and a great record, but yeah, no one is ever going to top the original.

S&G's America -- a definite highlight and a great choice to show what they did best and how important they felt at the time.

Marmalade -- I've got some homework to do with this and Little Feat and the Jason Falkner (I'm not into ironic covers either)

Radio Days -- has grown in my mind from very very good to one of Woody's best films. I take it the Dick Hyman version is not on Youtube or anything? How annoying they didn't credit the song, even if it was in public domain. It drives me nuts that the songs in a film are not included in online credits at IMDB or Wikipedia. In the old days you absolutely had to stay and scan the credits as the songs whizzed by to figure out what tune you had heard and wanted to know the name of because it was your only chance! Arghhh.

Great stuff!

Sal Nunziato said...

Queen's Live Aid performance is/was an anomaly. Speaking as a long time fan and someone who has seen them a half dozen times in their heyday, they rarely duplicated the sounds heard on their records in concert. Even the earliest shows, when Freddie still had the ability to reach that falsetto, seemed sloppy and haphazard. They are a studio band. A personal complaint is, I hate medleys, and too often they'd play a minute of this into 30 seconds of that into 90 seconds of this.

cmealha said...

When you posted nos. 41 and 50 I was surprised how in synch we were with the choices. With this selection, I'll admit I did scratch my head a little. I used just one hand. "Something", "America", "Somebody to Love", "I Can See for Miles", "Heat Wave" and even "Suspicious Minds" I get. The rest made me go "Huh?" I am familiar with the Marmalade and Falkner tunes and like them but would be hard-pressed to include them in a top 100 list. I wasn't familiar with the Little Feat and the version of "September Song". After listening I definitely don't hear what you do. But ultimately, I'm wrong and you're right because it's your list, isn't it? Anxiously awaiting the rest.

P.S. Just curious as to why you listed "Something" as being by George Harrison instead of "The Beatles"? Was it because of the Sinatra mix-up?

Sal Nunziato said...

Just a typo on the Beatles/Harrison. Fixed.

Mr. Baez said...

Another choice set of songs. Thank you for including Little Feat's Willin'. One of my personal favorites.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the beginning of Heat Wave reminds me of everything good about popular music. That song is magic. Joe

kevin m said...

"I was 6 and it made me nostalgic" - that's good writing right there

Anonymous said...

I love the Beatles, but have never thought of George Harrison as an exceptional guitarist. But the solo in Something is absolutely sublime (as are his little bits throughout the song). And, yes, the bass, but don't forget Ringo's (as usual) perfect-for-the-song drumming. Where we disagree is that the song would be 'just okay' without the elements you point out; lyrics, structure and arrangement are top-notch.
Willin' is such a wistful classic that I'd be hard-pressed to imagine a bad version. I know Linda Ronstadt is considered uncool with many, but she does a fine, fine job with it.
I dunno what I think of ironic covers, but I do love creative re-imaginings of well-known songs, especially when they force me to hear the song underneath "The Song", as many have. This usually involves stripping it down rather than tarting it up, so I'm curious re Both Sides Now.
C in California

Sal Nunziato said...

"Where we disagree is that the song would be 'just okay' without the elements you point out; lyrics, structure and arrangement are top-notch."

@C IN California

I want to amend what I said. I lean more toward your side. "Something" is a helluva lot more than just okay. I was just thinking about the various demos and early takes found on bootlegs and then the expanded Abbey Road, and I missed the solo and bass playing.

But yes, "Something" is something.

steve simels said...

I was never a Queen fan until the movie ( long long story) but “Somebody to Love” was always the exception. Just glorious. I actually learned the piano part back in the day, just because.

Noel M said...

NICE. Out of these, America and Willin' are my two favorites and the two that might be in my Top 40 also (in fact, on some days I've said that America is my favorite song of all).

But even though I don't know all the others quite as well, your write-ups are fantastic, especially about the Queen song. Isn't it interesting how someone so magnetic, iconic, and beloved as Freddy Mercury could be pining for love too, just like all the mere mortals?

Thanks for continuing the series and I look forward to spinning these ... and eventually closing in, slowly, on NUMBER ONE. I wonder what it will be?

Marc said...

Abbey Road has never been my favorite Beatles album, but both of George's contributions are stellar. I completely agree with you on Heatwave, and Suspicious Minds and I Can See for Miles are two of my favorites as well. I'm going to have to check out that Erroll Garner record, and Marmalade.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who hates medleys! They've annoyed the hell out of me since I was a kid.

Marc

Anonymous said...

Willin', I Can See For Miles, Heatwave, and Suspicious Minds are all fabulous. I found all but the Flakner on Spotify and will spin them as a group today. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Shriner, Chicago is one of the best songs I've ever heard. Songwriting in the Brian Wilson class. If you include the Illinoise out-takes album, Avalanche, there are more versions of the song, each one worthy of repeated play. Baker Street is also wonderful, as is Right Down The Line from that album.

- Paul in DK

M_Sharp said...

All great songs, especially "Willin'", as I expected. You're right, "Both Sides Now" gets much better with the second verse.

I didn't know "Suspicious Minds" was a cover. I found the original on YouTube, it's very good, but it's not Elvis and his band. I checked, and Mark James also co-wrote "Always On My Mind", also covered by Elvis, and originally recorded by Brenda Lee. It's fun to learn new stuff about the music I like!

Anonymous said...

I'm a little surprised I Can See for Miles only made your top 40. Will Heinz Baked Beans be in your top 10?

:)

I first heard Willin' on the Byrds box set and had to circle back to find the original on Sailing Shoes. It's a great song no matter who's singing it. Plus it put Tucumcari on the musical map.

You can't beat these lines, and I love the way they're sung:
I smuggled some smokes and folks from Mexico
Baked by the sun every time I go to Mexico

Bill

Michael Giltz said...

I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've heard the Marmalade song! Your line that it made your six year old self nostalgic is hilarious.

Michael Giltz said...

By the way, these lyrics are killer from "Reflections Of My Life" --

The world is
A bad place
A bad place
A terrible place to live
Oh but I don't want to die ...

Amen! :)

Christopher said...

Great songs, from start to finish. Thanks!