Sunday, May 21, 2023

Songs Of The Week, 2023: 5/13-5/19


 

Woman Of 1000 Years- Fleetwood Mac
Black Cadillac- Rosanne Cash
Rosie Won't You Please Come Home- The Kinks
Beautiful Beige- The Cowsills
Missing You- The Merry-Go-Round
Lighten Up, Morrissey- Sparks
Sheik Of Araby- Leon Redbone

zip

Woman Of 1000 Years- Fleetwood Mac
Right after Christine McVie passed, my friend and I discussed those underappreciated Fleetwood Mac albums that always get lost in the weeds. We both agreed "Future Games" was a beauty. This track opens that album and this mix.

Black Cadillac- Rosanne Cash
I hadn't heard this song in years. It was powerful then, soon after Johnny Cash's death and still packs a wallop now.

Rosie Won't You Please Come Home- The Kinks
I listened to "Village Green Preservation Society" yesterday, an album widely regarded as The Kinks best. And I won't argue that. It sounded better than ever. But I reach for "Face To Face" more than any other Kinks record. 

Beautiful Beige- The Cowsills
I was digging through a few boxes of mostly lousy LPs but I grabbed a copy of The Cowsills "We Can Fly" for a buck because I remembered liking "Beautiful Beige." You know what? I still do and most of the album is pretty solid sunshine pop, as well. 

Missing You- The Merry-Go-Round
While listening to the MGR's Best Of, this track stood out...yet again. It was a b-side written by Larry Marks. I did a search on Burning Wood to see if I had ever shared it before. I did. Four times! This is number 5. I love this track.

Lighten Up, Morrissey- Sparks
SPARKSMANIA!

Sheik Of Araby- Leon Redbone
I hope everyone has as much fun this week as Mr. Redbone had on this track.

10 comments:

Michael Giltz said...

Great bunch. The Roseanne Cash "Black Cadillac" is always moving. And just the title "Lighten Up, Morrissey" makes me laugh.

Deadmandeadman said...

i don't see a link

Sal Nunziato said...

It's there, between the titles and descriptions. zip

Noel M said...

Looks like a great mix! I saw Susan Cowsill at JazzFest a few years ago and was reminded of how I love her music.

dogbreath said...

Thanks for the zip job. And how good to see Morrissey get a name check in the SOTW, even if it is only by way of Sparks' affectionate dig which the great man himself apparently dug. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to dive into some Leon Redbone - can you recommend a couple of albums?

Nice mix!

Randy

Michael Giltz said...

Hey Anonymous, I just dove into Leon Redbone a while ago and it's been a treat. Start at the beginning! His first two albums: On The Track (1975) and Double Time (1977) both widely available on streaming or of course CD or best of all ask for Sal to keep an eye out for some vinyl for you! Then just work your way forward, but live with those first two albums for a while. They're worth the time. His third on WB -- Champagne Charlie -- is also good, but not as great as the first two. Then it gets dicey as he moves to other labels and such. I assume one of the live albums is good, but haven't gone there yet. It was his appearances on Saturday Night Live that intrigued me all those years ago (who is this guy?) but it took streaming for me to give him a chance. I'm glad I did.

Sal Nunziato said...

Randy,
What Michael Giltz said regarding Leon Redbone pretty much echoes how I feel, though I love "Champagne Charlie." Those three WB records are really all you need.

Anonymous said...

I was later to the party on Face To Face, having buried myself in the joys of Something Else, Village Green, Arthur, and Kinks Kronikles. A friend taped the album for me, and I would listen to it while tooling around town in my early 20s. Rosie Won't You Please Come Home was the song that unlocked the whole album for me, and it quickly became one of my favorite Kinks albums--where it remains to this day.

Bill

Mr Modernist said...

That 'Sheik Of Araby' is just what you said. Like a palate cleanser for Mr. Redbone. Funny, because I'd just yesterday added 'Mississippi Delta Blues' from the same album to a playlist. Great minds for old gems, eh? Thanks, Sal.