Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Sailor


 

While digging through yet another box of cheap records, I found a copy of Sailor's 1975 sophomore release "Trouble." I still can recall my cousin and I shopping at the greatest record store that ever slung wax, Titus Oaks on Flatbush Avenue, and picking up a promo copy for $2.99. My cousin had read about the band, most likely in Creem Magazine, and I immediately fell in love with what was the hit at the time, "A Glass Of Champagne." I listened to all of "Trouble" yesterday, probably for the first time since the late 70's, and I think I enjoyed it more than ever.

But what kind of music is it?

Discogs says Sailor is a "British pop group." I guess that's not wrong. Discogs also lists about nine Sailor releases. I thought they were two and out, but apparently made records well into the 90's.

All Music calls Sailor an "Early '70s pop-rock outfit whose sound was augmented by the nickelodeon, a contraption featuring pianos, synthesizers, mini-organs, and glockenspiels." Not the usual instrumenation for a pop-rock outfit. Dave Thompson of AMG reviews Sailor's debut but there is no review for "Trouble." 

"The first album by Sailor dropped onto the U.K. glam scene in late 1974 like the greatest secret you've never been told. Comparable in its underground impact to the first, similarly overlooked albums by Cockney Rebel and Queen a little over a year earlier, Sailor boasted a spellbinding introductory single, "Traffic Jam," a slew of magical follow-throughs, and the promise of a glittering future that could not have been broadcast any louder. And so it proved -- a year on, and Sailor was everywhere. "Traffic Jam" remains one of the group's finest achievements, an ecologically themed reflection on the history of the motorcar, executed in shamelessly Beach Boys-esque style. "Let's Go to Town" and "Sailor's Night on the Town," meanwhile, conjure visions of a bizarre collision between 10cc and Jacques Brel, poignant pop with a beautifully bittersweet bite. It is difficult to play favorites among the first three Sailor albums -- like the other bands to which the group can most readily be compared (add Roxy Music and Sparks to the aforementioned litany), each has a distinct character that is as unique as it is inseparable from the main body of work."

Sounds like a rave review, yet AMG only gives the debut *** 1/2.

It's easy to label the band as glam after hearing "Glass Of Champagne." But every other track on "Trouble" seems to be its own genre. Maybe these tracks will be a bit much for you, or just a bit too far on the other side of quirky. But, I really enjoyed all of "Trouble."

Give these tracks a spin. I am also including "Josephine Baker" and "Traffic Jam"from the debut. Let me know what you think.

 


  


 


 


 

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't recall hearing Sailor but the graphic looks familiar (i probably saw it in a cutout bin, too!). Epic seemed to specialize in these UK sophisticated pop bands - they also had Cafe Jacques and Sutherland Bros and Quiver at the time. of course, Cheap Trick was just around the corner, probably why all the UK bands only had short runs on the label.

Shriner said...

If XTC made a glam album as the Dukes, I would imagine it would sound like this.

I need to check this out.

Anonymous said...

I loved 'Glass of Champagne' when it came out and still play it to this day... just brilliant... I finally bought a copy of 'Trouble' about 6 months ago... better late than never... a fantastic album :-)

Michael Giltz said...

I'm trained to be furious if every album by any artist who ever lived isn't available for me to stream on Spotify/Amazon et al. A string of compilations are there but not one proper album. At least I can check out the singles! They seem to have covered Karma Chameleon at some point, but one comp had a bizarro track that was NOT Sailor though I found their mellow spin on it somewhere else. Couldn't help checking that out to see if somehow it was an original song with the same title, but it's a cover. Looking forward to checking them out.

heartsofstone said...

Wow - I haven't thought of Sailor in years. Thanks so much.

Christopher said...

Interesting, these Sailor lads.

"A Glass of Champagne" sounds so similar to Hilly Michaels' "Calling All Girls." No doubt he was thinking of this song during its production.

As far as a genre tag, uh, may I suggest Camp Rock...

M_Sharp said...

Good pop songs, but a little too theatrical for my taste.

Unknown said...

After Sailor, Phil Pickett played keyboards & sang backing vocals with Culture Club - and co-wrote several songs, including Karma Chameleon.

EasilyConfused said...

Georg Kajanus was previously Georg Hultgreen of Eclection.

Christine said...

Had to listen a second time to really appreciate. Nothing wrong with peppy music! I especially enjoyed "Girls, Girls, Girls" and "Traffic Jam".

Michael Giltz said...

Thanks Anonymous! I did not know the Phil Pickett and Culture Club connection -- he had quite the run as a songwriter. One more reason to check Sailor out.

hpunch said...

I never quite understood Sailor. I would see clips and had the feeling they were one of those gimmicky bands that would sneak on Top Of The Pops a la The Rubettes and Showwaddywaddy ? I'm still not sure.

Sal Nunziato said...

@hpunch
"I'm still not sure."

I hear that.

dogbreath said...

Feeling a tad like poor old Nebuchadnezzar crawling along in Blake's painting, I'm old enough to have fond memories of the band on TV, buying the singles, and seeing them perform on their, I think, first UK tour (on which I had to put up with Cockney Rebel as they were my girlfriend's plat du jour at the time). Contrived or ingenious, I don't know or mind too much, just good fun I recall. Cheers!

buzzbabyjesus said...

"A Glass Of Champagne", and Steve Harley's "Come Up And See Me" check a lot of the same boxes for me. They'd enjoy each other's company in a mix.

dogbreath said...

Agreed Mr BBJ. I had a downer on Cockney Rebel way back then, but have (grudgingly) come to like, respect and, damnit, even enjoy their 70s output. Cheers!