Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Your Wednesday Moment Of Pop Bliss

 


From what I think is the band's very best album, the forgotten classic of 2004, "Everybody Loves A Happy Ending," here are Roland and Curt, better known as Tears For Fears, and a song that in a just musical world would have been become an all time summer classic, "Call Me Mellow."

I had a conversation with a friend recently. This is someone I know, not a username or anonynous social media stalker. He invited me to a concert that I couldn't attend. Then, I casually mentioned how disappointed I was that I did not get to see Tears For Fears on the current tour for their superb comeback album "The Tipping Point." He started laughing. No words, just a mocking belly laugh. I ignored him, waited until he caught his breath and asked, "What exactly is so funny? When was the last time you listened to Tears For Fears?" He said, "Shout."

It's always a good move to criticize what you don't know.

😏

Oh, here's one more beauty from "Happy Ending." No laughing.


 




12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a briliant album! Not a bad song on it. I saw them live on this tour at the Joint in Vegas. Liked it so much I went to the good old Universal Amphitheater to follow it up with another show. They pull the songs off pretty well live. Never bought their latest release yet though. I have to check it out.

Song of the day is cool. Nice Jamaican twist on "Piscartney-Lennon" : ) Good duo. Never heard this before.

VR

PS - I used to get shit from some of my friends for digging Tears For Fears. I guy I went out with called them Tears for Queers. That was our last date.

steve simels said...

“I bet you really miss those Reagan years/John Hughes movies and Tears for Fears”
— the Bis-Quits “Tennessee Valley Girl”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GzSWPUl0ir8&pp=ygUjdGhlIGJpcy1xdWl0cyB0ZW5uZXNzZWUgdmFsbGV5IGdpcmw%3D

Just being snarky.😎

steve simels said...

Seriously, those are wonderful. I had no idea.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to give Everybody Loves A Happy Ending a spin. Both of these tracks are very good.

The song of the day is also a lot of fun. Love the hilarious "Piscartney Lennon" songwriting credit showing on the image of the 45 in the video.

- Paul in DK

kevin m said...

Everybody Loves a Happy Ending is terrific!!

And I have never seen TFF live and am pissed that I missed them on their current tour

wardo said...

I have been long overdue to review this on the blog (plug plug) but it is in the bullpen. I'd also like to call out how much I still like the Raoul and the Kings of Spain album.

Sal Nunziato said...

Raoul is a great one!

Michael Giltz said...

BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...oh, wait. That's actually quite good.

elroy said...

Thanks Sal, I think you had mentioned ELAHE a few months ago, but this post finally got me to listen to the whole thing for the first time since it came out. Really like it, what a waste to have it sitting collecting dust :(

Have to revisit Raoul as well...

cmealha said...

If this ever gets re-released let me know right away!

Christine said...

Great stuff! Always liked their songs. Never seen them live. I imagine they must sound wonderful.

Guy Incognito said...

I always thought the title track was reminiscent of a McCartney composition, the way it has little distinct sections like Uncle Albert or Band On the Run, for obvious examples.

Saw TFF about a year ago in metro Atlanta, and they were fantastic. The previous time I saw them they were great but since they were opening for Hall & Oates their set was too brief. I've seen 'em 5 times and they never disappoint.