Friday, October 13, 2023

Robert "Stewkey" Antoni, 1947-2023



Let me tell you a short story about Stewkey.

I first met Moogy Klingman when I was working on St. Mark's Place at Smash CDs. Moogy was a co-founder of Todd Rundgren's Utopia and played a big part on many of those early Todd records, so it was a bit of a thrill to meet the name I'd been seeing on so many of my favorite records, not to mention the excellent work he did with Bette Midler. 

When we opened NYCD in 1993, Moogy was in the shop more than our employees. We couldn't get rid of the guy. He lived right around the block at the Ansonia on Broadway and 79th. At first, it was a bit much. He liked to talk trash about Mr. Rundgren, at times going on for what felt like hours, much in the way Lenny Bruce would read from his court transcripts instead of telling jokes. But that eased up, and in the end, Moogy became a friend. He was a genuine sweetheart and would often invite me up to the apartment to jam, though I never got around to actually doing it. And I was truly happy he and Todd made peace before he passed in 2011.

One afternoon, he came in with a friend. The one and only Stewkey, lead singer of The Nazz from Philadelphia. I couldn't believe my eyes.  

F**king Stewkey! 

I gushed a bit, declaring my love for the Nazz records and how I was thrilled to see him here at my shop. I thought Stewkey was going to cry. I had never seen a man as grateful and as humble as he was. He seemed truly baffled that anyone knew who the Nazz were, let alone having someone sing high praise to his face. 

Stewkey came in a few more times after that visit with some "new music" he was working on with Moogy. It wasn't anything. I wanted it to be for both of our sakes. But I didn't care. Those first two Nazz records were more than enough. Maybe Todd was still finding his songwriting legs, but Stewkey's voice was right where it needed to be.

I found about about his passing while scrolling through Instagram. Rick Nielsen posted a tribute.

Robert "Stewkey" Antoni, 1947-2023. 



10 comments:

steve simels said...

Those first two Nazz albums were life changers for me. It is one of the great regrets of my adult life that I never got to see them in person.

Have I mentioned that this death shit is really starting to piss me off?

thanksloads said...

I loved those Nazz albums. RIP

ken49 said...

That 1st Nazz record was all over KSAN back in the early free form days. I loved it. One of the few US bands that really had a British feel to the band and the music. Got to go listen right now.

ken49 said...

Just went and listened to Open My Eyes. My word does it sound big and powerful. I never realized Nazz's 1st has been reissued with bonus tracks. Might have to check it out.

Michael Giltz said...

I'm with Steve. Too many people dying in too many ways.

Anonymous said...

Take the hand that’s waiting, open it and find, there’s a heart that’s reaching from inside

Anonymous said...

Sal,

Nice to read your personal stories about Stewkey. Wished I'd seen Nazz live. But the only time, that I know of, that they played Los Angeles was while they were recording the debut LP. They played the Whisky several nights. I saw the listing in the Freep but I thought it was Alice Cooper's band. We had no frame of reference for another Nazz. They hadn't even issued a record yet. I guess I wasn't hanging out on the strip that week, otherwise I would have drifted in. I heard later from some regulars that it wasn't Furnier's band. They all said Nazz was pretty lousy and not very together. Guess I'm glad I wasn't around. But I still would have liked to have seen for myself.

VR

Christine said...

Great story. I love the Nazz song you chose to post, as well. Happy you got to meet both of these humble men! It's nice to know that not everyone is an asshole.

tvschaaf said...

Sorry to hear of Stewkey's passing. Nazz was (and still is.. ) must listen to. A premier American rock band.

Your tribute was more than wonderful.

Thank you.

Glenn Weatherford said...

I saw Nazz in Philly at Fairmount Park. 1969 ? I was a big fan back then , wore out a copy of Nazz,Nazz.