Sunday, February 25, 2024

Songs Of The Week, 2024: 2/17-2/23


 

Cross Your Fingers- The Black Crowes
Smoking Cigarettes- Golden Earring
Shallow Grave- Elvis Costello
Calico County- Steve Earle & The Dukes (And Duchesses)
Lucky Number- Lene Lovich
Looking Around- Yes
Singing The Blues On Reds- Patto

zip

Cross Your Fingers- The Black Crowes
The first new original single from the Brothers Robinson in 15 years sounded too much like "Jealous Again" to truly get my juices back in Crowes mode. But this second single kicked my ass back into gear. It put me on a B.C. kick and made me take out the wonderful and underrated "Croweology," which is where you'll find the only recorded version of today's beautiful Song Of The Day.

Smoking Cigarettes- Golden Earring

A friend asked if I could suggest the five best Golden Earring records. I did and they all came before 1974. This is from "Winter Harvest," what I think is their best.

Shallow Grave- Elvis Costello

I listened to the Macca/Costello demos last week and this track was not included on the album, but as a bonus track on a limited edition cassette! (Bastards.) Here's the finished product.

Calico County- Steve Earle & The Dukes (And Duchesses)

"The Low Highway" is my favorite Steve Earle. I know it should be two or three others, but I play this album the most.

Lucky Number- Lene Lovich

"I-yee-I-yee-I-yee-I-yee-I. Eh, oh, EH-oh." You're welcome.

Looking Around- Yes
Do me a favor, please. If you hate prog rock, and long songs, and have made a career out of trashing "Tales From Topographic Oceans," at least listen to Yes' debut from 1969. Do it for me. "Do it for Johnny!"

Singing The Blues On Reds- Patto

We'll let the brilliant insanity of Patto close things out. What a groove!


 

 


Also, I've got some great records for sale. There are at least 100-150 new adds since I last hawked my wares. So many good records just sitting around begging for a good home. Confounding, if you ask me.

If you're interested, click this.

That is all.

In the words of Virgil Sollozzo, "Now, you can go."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great mix! The Golden Earring and Yes tracks were a revelation to me - very different from their more familiar tracks. ‘Looking Around’, with the keyboards, fits nicely with Madchester’s The Charlatans - at least to me.
Thank you for sharing! :)

Anonymous said...

Roll 'em and Smoke 'em, you damn betcha!!

Randy

cmealha said...

The Crowes cut is killer. Zep like dynamics and the bridge sounds like a vocal Sly Stone would come up with. Looking forward to more.
"Lucky Number" is one of those cuts that always get me going and wishing I could dance like a fool again, which is the only way to dance.

kevin m said...

I love the Croweology album. And Cross Your Fingers is growing on me.

Tinpot said...

"I-yee-I-yee-I-yee-I-yee-I. Eh, oh, EH-oh." Thank you. Been many years since I heard that.
And Yes(!)

Noel M said...

Thanks for this Sal!

Chris Collins said...

I actually LOVE the new Black Crowes stuff. Both songs!