Monday, April 29, 2024

James Booker & The Coasters

 

 

The Coasters did most of their chart damage between 1956 and 1960 while residing on the Atco label. In 1967, they released two singles for Date Records, neither of which charted from what I can see after about 11 seconds of research. I only discovered this after looking for some James Booker to listen to.

I have a fan made collection called "Hired Hands," which is about 30 tracks that feature Booker either on piano or organ, and one of those tracks is a cover of Alvin Robinson's "Down Home Girl" by The Coasters. I know heard it at least once before, but that was over 20 years ago when I first received the compilation. I remembered nothing about it. 

I think it's pretty damn great, with a very slinky New Orleans/Allen Toussaint vibe happening. And I think it was originally the b-side of that 1967 Date single.

Most will remember either the Rolling Stones version or Robinson's original. But I think this might be better than either.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Arthur Alexander ?? > Alvin Robinson

Sal Nunziato said...

Yes, of course. Corrected.
Must have had "Go Home Girl" on the brain.

buzzbabyjesus said...

I'd be willing to bet Lowell George heard this. Little Feat '74 all the way.

steve simels said...

Very cool. Thanks.😎

Anonymous said...

great track..literally has vibes!! haha

cheers

JD said...

Great way to start my week. Thanks.

Dave McNally said...

It is certainly pretty damn great but for me Alvin Robinson's original has more grit - both better than the Stones though. I do quite like the Old Crow Medicine version too. Hired Hands is great compilation - I had no idea James played with such a wide variety of artists in the studio.

pmac said...

"smell like pork n beans..."
I believe that comp was put together by my good friend, Robert, a/k/a Kingcake and his old blog, Deep Southern Soul. He has about 50 different comps of music on Mixcloud (just search under Kingcake) that range from NO music, to jazz, to gospel, and all are excellent.
Booker also did most of the piano work on one of the last studio lps released by Fats Domino, called Fats Is Back (includes versions of two Beatles' songs, Lady Madonna, and Everybody Got Something to Hide Except for Me and My Monkey).

M_Sharp said...

They don't write songs like that anymore! Too bad... great cover, Booker certainly helps.