Tuesday, April 30, 2024

New & Improved: St. Vincent Is Back

 


The first three previews from St. Vincent's just released "All Born Screaming" set a very different table for what has been served over the nine track, 35 minute new record. I had been expecting, hoping actually, for a loud, occasionally violent Nine Inch Nails-inspired album, much like the first single "Broken Man," or at the very least, a ballsy, dance-oriented record--think Prince when he's nasty--like the third single, "Big Time Nothing." As it turns out, those first three singles are the only songs that sound the way they do.

Disappointed? A bit. Am I unhappy? Not at all.

"All Born Screaming" after three spins feels like one of the best records of 2024, and certainly one of Annie Clark's best.

Side One is a perfect 5 out 5, featuring the aforementioned three singles, as well as the gorgeous opener "Hell Is Near," which evokes early Genesis, Kate Bush, and Roxy Music's "Avalon." 


 

I initially had problems with Side Two, mostly because of the last two tracks. "So Many Planets" is a bit clumsy lyrically and the cheap faux-reggae beat got under my skin. And the title track which closes the festivities has a similar 80's vibe before it veers into a strange, overlong coda. But first we have "Violent Times," Annie Clark's possibly inadvertent James Bond theme, which got better on the second spin and even better on the third.  "The Power's Out" is another beautiful melody sung over an eerie, Angelo Badalamenti backing track that I found really affective. And "Sweetest Fruit" again calls to mind Kate Bush over an early 80's Peter Gabriel rhythm. 

Losing producer and someone who is fast becoming more famous for lobotomizing the artists he produces, Jack Antonoff, was a big plus, as St. Vincent seems to have gotten her mojo back. "All Born Screaming" works better taken as a whole, the way an album should and I am thrilled Annie Clark is back. 




6 comments:

Sal Nunziato said...

Paul,
I really liked Cate LeBon's first album and I liked what she did with Wilco. But the one track she is involved with on the St. Vincent is one of the two nthat didn't work for me.

If you dig the new one, listen to the self-titled album next. That remains my favorite.

buzzbabyjesus said...

Her previous "Daddy's Home" was so lame I nearly lost interest in her. I like to blame Jack Antonoff. I recently played "Venus Of Cool", my Weekend Mix from a few years ago and was reminded she was worth listening to. This one sounds much better.

cmealha said...

Based on the initial tracks that were released, I was expecting a different album. After my initial listen, I was split 50/50. I did like the overall sound of the album. Much better than Daddy's Home, which is my least favorite. I can't say if it was Antonoff's fault or the fault of the material, but it didn't work for me. I am definitely going to spin it a few more times, now that I know what to expect.

ken49 said...

The most exciting, dary, new music I've heard has been St. Vincent, Weyes Blood and Sleater Kinney's latest. These are exciting pop albums that sound current but have great lyrics and melodies in the framework of modern sounding records. Are there any guys making this kind of music?

ken49 said...

I always love when you find something on Spotify that you really like and have never heard of and find out it has 80 millions hits! And I pay attention beyond the normal joe.

ken49 said...

Agree on the self titled album. Just love Birth in Reverse. It's got a Gang of 4 vibe in there.