Friday, June 28, 2024

Early Morning Cold Taxis

 


I was listening to "The Who Sell Out" as I do from time to time and decided to listen to the bonus material, which I don't do nearly as often. I have always loved the reject, "Early Morning Cold Taxi," a song that would have made the greatest album of all time even greater if it had appeared instead of maybe "Silas Stingy." The song was co-written by Roger Daltrey and Dave Langston, The Who's roadie, I believe.

This also reminded me of the excellent cover version by Swag, super-power pop group featuring at one point or another, members of Cheap Trick, Wilco, The Mavericks and Todd Rundgren. 

 

 
The song first appeared on the first official Who boxed set "Maximum R&B," along with 25-30 other oddities and rare mixes, but it wasn't until the deluxe "Sell Out" box that we got to hear the original U.K. mono mix. Honestly, I love the track so much, I wouldn't mind an E.P. of every existing mix.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Early Morning Cold Taxi has been a favorite of mine for a long while. Fabulous!

- Paul in DK

Anonymous said...

Have to admit that this is the first time I've given it a proper listen - fantastic!! Both versions!!!

Randy

Bill said...

Oh yeah, this and the live version of Dreaming From the Waist were the two best discoveries on the Who box set. Kind of crazy it didn't make the original cut.

steve simels said...

Great cover!!!