Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Paul Is Fats

 

 

From the 2007 Fats Domino tribute "Goin' Home," please enjoy Paul McCartney channeling the honoree with piano accompaniment by Allen Toussaint on the New Orleans classic "I Want To Walk You Home." Seriously, Macca's delivery is impeccable. He is no doubt, a fan.

I remember when this CD was released. It was not even two years after Hurricane Katrina and it seemed like there was a New Orleans tribute or benefit happening every week. I went to them all and purchased every bit of music, but I honestly don't think I have listened to "Goin' Home" since 2007. It has a very heavy roster with everyone from Tom Petty to B.B. King, Dr. John, Elton John. and Robert Plant, Lucinda Willams and Toots & The Maytals, Neil Young and of course many New Orleans favorites like Irma Thomas, Art Neville, Jon Cleary, Galactic, The Dirty Dozen Brass Band and more. And almost all of the selections were newly recorded.

You can check out the full track list here.


9 comments:

Troy said...

I remember getting this and wanting to love it, but I only liked it. And like you, I haven't played it in years. Maybe I'll have to dig it out and try again.

hpunch said...

Where has this been all my life? WOW. Thank you

Joe said...

Forgot that I have this one. Will revisit.

Anonymous said...

"I want to hold your hand." Hmmm.

Bob in IL

steve simels said...

Wow. Fucking Paul.

That's fabulous -- thanks for posting!!!

Whattawino said...

He may not OWN this song, but he sounds like he’s LEASING it, for sure. Outstanding!

daudder said...

Macca is one great singer....

Anonymous said...

I've been a fan of this for years. Nothing earth shattering, but a very nice flow of solid tunes.

Randy

Anonymous said...

I like the album. Each song has its merits whether they succeed or fail. The Macca cut is good, but to me sounds a bit studied. I like some of the others' tunes better, sometimes just for the players. Doug Pettibone on the Lucinda track is really tasty.

VR