Thursday, October 17, 2024

The Gilded Palace Of Sin

 


The Gilded Palace of Sin (1969) The Flying Burrito Brothers

I was in the Boy Scouts, an Eagle, to be exact, when I came home September 23, 1973, from a weekend camping trip in Joshua Tree. My mom asked me if I'd heard about some rock star's body being burned out there. At 429,690 acres (671.4 sq mi; 1,738.9 km2), Joshua Tree is a pretty big place.
"No", I replied. At the time I didn't know Gram Parsons, or his music.
During the Summer of '78, I taped my room mate's copy of "Grievous Angel"(1973). By the time I heard "Cash on the Barrelhead", I was hooked. I'd read a lengthy article about him in one of the magazines (Creem, Crawdaddy?) entitled "Gram Finale", which included details about what happened in Joshua Tree.
An incendiary end to a short, fascinating, and largely tragic life.
There is a high lonesome authenticity in his voice, and music, throughout his career.
I picked up a used copy of "The Gilded Palace Of Sin" in the early '80's, and pretty much everything else since.
He was my gateway into Country Music, and a huge influence on several levels. He and Chris Hillman wrote some great songs together, and Gram continued to until his unfortunate demise.
I bought this 2017 repress from from my buddy Sal earlier this year. Sounds much better than my scratchy original.




You might notice that bassist Chris Ethridge switched instruments with drummer Michael Clarke for the video shoot.

-BBJ

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The FBB and Gram Parsons put out some wonderful music. Tragic is an apt word to describe Gram's life, but fortunately for us, there is all the beautiful music he and his pals created.

- Paul in DK

paulinca said...

Man, I just listened to Gram's records and the Burritos this last week! Emmylou at Hardly Strictly played a short set recognizing the 50th anniversary of Grievious Angel. As a teenager, I'd heard the name but it was a Black Crowes concert in May 1995 that I heard Hot Burrito #2 and I was hooked.