Sunday, August 9, 2020

Songs Of The Week, 2020: 8/1-8/7



It's Different For Girls- Joe Jackson
The Love We Have- Kid Creole & The Coconuts
Never Get Old- David Bowie
Girl Blue- Stevie Wonder
No Reason- Nick Lowe
Chicken Strut- The Meters
Standing In The Rain- The James Gang

zip

It's Different For Girls- Joe Jackson 
My favorite J.J. song this week.

The Love We Have- Kid Creole & The Coconuts
In the middle of a vinyl reorganizing session, I pulled out the "Wise Guy" album and it triggered a bunch of memories, including seeing Kid Creole at The Ritz and Peppermint Lounge a number of times back in the day, and so many Saturdays spent buying 12"s at Vinyl Mania for the nights I DJ'd the Circle Line booze cruises in the 80s. You can just listen and enjoy. I highly recommend the "Wise Guy" album. It's basically Kid Creole's greatest hits.

Never Get Old- David Bowie
This had popped up on the iPod last week or the week before and it was still in my head, so I had to get it out.

Girl Blue- Stevie Wonder
No Reason- Nick Lowe
Chicken Strut- The Meters
All three courtesy of the iPod shuffling, and I really liked how they sounded together.

Standing In The Rain- The James Gang
The Tommy Bolin version of the James Gang doesn't get much credit. Might have something to do with both album covers being terrible. The music, on the other hand, is pretty good, esepcially this track.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the this. Never get old, wonderful.

And I had forgotten Chicken Strut until I heard it back again while watching that Netflix show about fried chicken, very interesting by the way.

Roy

neal t said...

Have to say the Kid has other good tunes not on Wise Guy :) Went up to your fair city to see him @ Carnegie Hall in '86. got a pass outside after to an after party @ the Palladium and got to stand on balcony overlooking dance floor wit Mr Darnell people watching with him. Quite a night. there was a concert video out BITD that I'd luv to find.

Sal Nunziato said...

@Neal T.
"Have to say the Kid has other good tunes not on Wise Guy"
He sure does! I'm a fan. But I do love Wise Guy.

Ken D said...

Kid Creole at the Ritz—one of the best shows I ever saw.
According to their not-very-extensive or informative website, seems like Darnell & Co. are still at it over in Europe.
@neal t: the website has a live CD for sale but don't see any video

Michael Giltz said...

You DJ'd the Circle Line booze cruises in the 1980s? That I did not know! Oh the stories you could tell...about annoying tourists, Wall Streeters, their banal demands and how the crowds did not flock to the dance floor when you offered some obscure Rundgren. Happily, Hall & Oates were in their heyday.

neal t said...

thanks Ken. It was a great show. lucky I got to see once more in the Windy City the following year I used to have a show I taped off Much Music from my silly satellite dish I bought months before scrambling was invented. that is the show I guess should be out there somewhere. Have to agree with blog boss Wise Guy is the best release and the one that should of made him household name. I remember my first encounter with KC&tC was on SNL. That was as head turning as seeing Fear but in the opposite direction.
keep up good work Sal

dogbreath said...

Nice! The very exemplar of what a week's worth of SOTD should be. And, hey, I think it was the cover of the James Gang's Bang album that made me buy it from the import box in the first place. Then going on to discover the classic rock songs thereon, especially the first side, and some guitarist called Bolin, just brill. Cheers!