Monday, August 10, 2020

"The Mildest Side Of The Beatles?"




I came across the Jamme record a couple of years ago while fiddling about on various blogs. The blogger pulled his entire description from the All Music Guide and it was the first sentence that got me.

"A pleasant self-titled album that couldn't help but remind listeners of the mildest side of The Beatles when it was issued in 1970, influenced by California pop/rock."

Okay, I'll "buy" it.

Jamme turned out to be an okay record with a few really terrific tracks, but overall mostly forgettable. And that is exactly what I did.

Cut to Sunday, 8/2

While listening to my pal and bandmate Sal Maida's radio show, Spin Cycle, I found myself spending money in real time, as he more often than not, surprises me with a few unheard gems that I must own. I often joke, "Great show Sal. Only cost me $75 this week." One of these gems was a beautiful piece of baroque pop called "Poor Widow" by...you got it...Jamme. Sal went on to explain that Jamme was a project put together and produced by John Phillips. AMG further explains that the record got lost in the turmoil of the breakup of both the Mamas & Papas and Phillips marriage to Michele and just barely came out.

Cut to Saturday, 8/8

I decided to wax nostalgic and pull out the 45s and in the box was...you got it..."Poor Widow" by Jamme, most definitely purchased two years ago, the first time I heard the track. (I told you I forgot.) It remains the best song on the album, though its b-side, also included here, is pretty wonderful, as well.

I still have the files in my iTunes library and will most likely give the whole record another chance some time today. I'll get back to you on that. Until then, check out these two tracks.

And...you can check out a replay of Sal Maida's Spin Cycle over here. I highly recommend it.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't hear the Beatles, but it's that baroque pop that is definitely your thing. have you heard Starling Electric's attempts at recreating that era?

hpunch said...

Funny. I don't remember being too crazy about the Jamme album when I bought some years back as well.
After hearing Spin Cycle ( I only spent $45) I searched for it in my collection and put it in the on deck circle expecting to love it now.
Much like you did for me with that KEY album,