Sunday, August 18, 2019

Songs Of The Week, 2019: 810-8/16



I Don't Know Why You Don't Want Me- Rosanne Cash
Come Around- The Action
Cryin' To Be Heard- Traffic
I Need A Pay Day- Little Willie Littlefield
Never Fall- Jules Shear
Peacock Suit- Paul Weller
Lose Again- Linda Ronstadt

zip

I Don't Know Why You Don't Want Me- Rosanne Cash
I played this one to death when it came out. I also had a crush on Miss Cash at that time.

Come Around- The Action
I think the Action's transition from mod to psych to freak out in such a ridiculously short time is amazing. Check out this blurb from AMG: "The term "lost classic" is applied liberally and often erroneously to unreleased recordings that resurface years later in a maelstrom of hype. However, for the forgotten mod rock also-rans the Action, the term is not only justified, it is painfully bittersweet. On par with such classics of the era as The Who Sell Out or Ogden's Nut Gone Flake but more focused than either, the Action's Rolled Gold goes beyond "lost classic" -- it is the influential masterpiece no one was ever allowed to hear." HEY! Dem's fightin' words! (But seriously...) I do love "Rolled Gold" and this track is the opener.

Cryin' To Be Heard- Traffic
Played the first two Traffic records this week, and this track was a standout. Actually, just about every song on those two records stands out.

I Need A Pay Day- Little Willie Littlefield
Another track from those Jay Miller sessions I wrote about a few weeks ago. Love the lyrics.

Never Fall- Jules Shear
Jules Shear's "Watch Dog" is an all time favorite. Produced by Todd Rundgren. Both Todd and Elliot Easton of The Cars on guitar. The original and far superior version of Cyndi Lauper's, Jules-penned hit, "All Through The Night." And this track, with its mellifluous harmonies!

Peacock Suit- Paul Weller
I hadn't listened to Paul Weller's "Heavy Soul" record since its release, having a memory of not caring too much for it. Then, as it often happens, a copy came through my hands and I gave it a fresh spin. I liked it very much. How and why that happens is both a mystery and a wonderful thing.

Lose Again- Linda Ronstadt
A friend invited me to a screening of a new Linda Ronstadt documentary. I had to decline, as I had other plans. But I did listen to "Hasten Down The Wind" which opens with this track.


4 comments:

A walk in the woods said...

Sal, just a note to say how welcome these SOTW mini-mixes are. For a good number of years, you have consistently shared these, and it's always a little bright spot to log on and see, hey, a new six pack of cool stuff! Just the right amount, and the fact that it's curated (instead of just sharing a show, etc) makes it even better.

So, thanks for always sharing these. I have more BW mixes on my iPod than I can count, and there's always room for the next one!

Ken D said...

I admit I still have a crush on Rosanne Cash...

And any idea where and when should we look for this Linda Ronstadt documentary?

dogbreath said...

Many thanks for another fine zip job: a great early Traffic and the ethereal Ronstadt being the standouts for me. Townshend may have had his Pictures of Lily; I had my pictures of Linda! Cheers!

Michael Giltz said...

Ken, The Linda Ronstadt doc is called "Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice." It opens Sept 6 in limited release. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10011448/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1