Sunday, August 11, 2019

Songs Of The Week, 2019: 8/3-8/9



Night Flight- Led Zeppelin
Cocoe-Joe Bataan
Up In Heaven (Not Only Here)- The Clash
Electrify Me- The Plugz
Funeral- Second Hand
It's Madness- Marvin Gaye
Follow Your Bliss- The B-52's

zip

Night Flight- Led Zeppelin
I had a habit when I was a kid. I would pull a new record out of the sleeve and put it on, not looking to see if it was side one or two. So, "Night Flight," which opens Side Four of LZ's "Physical Graffiti" was the first song I heard off that epic and will always feel like an opener to me.

Cocoe- Joe Bataan
I've seen this track listed as "Coco," "Coco-e," and "Cocoe." However you spell it, it's a terrific slice of late 60's/early 70's NYC, and for my ears, sounds perfect coming out of Led Zeppelin.

Up In Heaven (Not Only Here)- The Clash
BBJ's references to "Sandinista" on his African mix planted the seed. Couldn't do all six sides, but managed Sides 1, 5 and 6.

Electrify Me- The Plugz
I've mentioned The Plugz here countless times. Two records. Both essential. It's east-L.A. punk with a twist. Get into it.

Funeral- Second Hand
Yet another recent discovery while digging through the psychedelic rabbit hole. Second Hand released two albums, one in 1968 and another in 1971, that both contain some of the most interesting sounds I've heard in a while. Some of it is admittedly, weird for the sake of weird. But occasionally, they get onto something. Both records, "Reality" and "Death May Be Your Santa Claus" are worth checking out.

It's Madness- Marvin Gaye
What does it say about an artist when one of his most stunning vocal performances is left on the cutting room floor? "It's Madness" is a thing of beauty.

Follow Your Bliss- The B-52's
And speaking of things of beauty, this "Cosmic Thing" instrumental closer is one of the most aptly named songs in history.

3 comments:

JAYESSEMM said...

I've been meaning to post a "great mix ... thank you ... have a wonderful Sunday" comment but instead I'm completely overwhelmed by The Plugz! To dismiss this band as "punk" shows the shortcomings of our musical vocabulary!

Oh yeah ... Great mix, thanks you, have a wonderful Sunday!

Todd said...

"night Flight" is one of my favorite zep tracks from all of the albums.

dogbreath said...

A Zep-Clash-Gaye mix can't be all bad! Thanks for zipping it up. Cheers!