Sunday, March 29, 2020

Songs Of The Week, 2020: 3/21-3/27



Couldn't Love You More- John Martyn
Toy Soldier- Four Seasons
Dreamtime- Daryl Hall
Why- The Byrds
Down On My Knees- Bread
Love Is Not Enough- Nine Inch Nails
Willin'- Little Feat

zip

Couldn't Love You More- John Martyn
It may be sacrilege to some, but I prefer the Phil Collins produced version of this John Martyn gem, and that's what we have here.

Toy Soldier- Four Seasons
I have a vivid memory of sitting on my Uncle's speedboat which was parked on his lawn in Far Rockaway and hearing this song on WABC through a little transistor. For that reason, this will always be a fave Four Seasons track.

Dreamtime- Daryl Hall
Daryl Hall's second solo record "Three Hearts In The Happy Ending Machine" is a fantastic piece of work. It's power pop, funk and soul with some of Hall's best material, including a gorgeous cameo by Joni Mitchell on "Right As Rain," and this track, the first single, which was covered by Elvis Costello on his 1986 "Spinning Wheel" tour. Yes, the album does suffer a bit from LOUD and HOT 80's production, but the songs are so good, you let Daryl off the hook. It wasn't his fault. It was the decade.

Why- The Byrds
I watched "Remember My Name," the David Crosby documentary. (No menton of his horrible visit to my shop in 2004. Idiot.) I quite liked it and of course, needed to hear all the music and artists seen and discussed in the film. Listened to The Byrds and decided to share this one.

Down On My Knees- Bread
Speaking of David Crosby, his "Lady Friend" might just be my favorite Byrds track, which made me think of The Posies who recorded a stunning cover, which brought me to this Bread track, which was covered by Ken Stringfellow of The Posies. (No, I'm okay. Really.)

Love Is Not Enough- Nine Inch Nails
I know many choose soft music, or wordless music, or soothing music to help through difficult times. For me, it doesn't matter. Occasionally, something loud, throbbing and aggressive does the trick, as well. "With Teeth" is my favorite Nine Inch Nails, and one of my favorite albums of the last 20 years. Give the album a try, if you are up for it.

Willin'- Little Feat
One of the greatest songs ever written. I needed to hear it.

5 comments:

A walk in the woods said...

Thanks for this - nice to see a Bread song making the cut! Comfort food, nice.

JAYESSEMM said...

Well done Sal -- Thanks!

I've been on a bit of a Byrds jag of late -- Why is a good one! And, of course, I'm with you on Willin'

Wash your hands everybody. Be well!

Bill said...

The first version I heard of Willin' was the one on the Byrds boxed set. It was only later when I started listening to Little Feat that I realized it was a cover.

As Neil Young would say, it's all one song...

Anonymous said...

the first time I heard Willin' was on Seatrain's debut. it was a long time til I discovered Little Feat.

I have a sister whose favorite artist is Enya. Second favorite? Nine Inch Nails.

dogbreath said...

Well I like Linda Ronstadt's take on Willin' and I don't care who knows it! Thanks for nicely zipped SOTW, esp NIN. Cheers!