Tuesday, July 7, 2020

This Boy Is 80







My first drum kit was a bass drum, a snare and a ride cymbal, set up in the corner of my mother's bedroom in a two bedroom apartment that was shared by a set of grandparents, along with my aunt and uncle. No one cared if I played. It was encouraged at all times.

I'd play along to "No Reply" from "Beatles '65" and "I'll Get You" from "The Beatles Second Album." I can still see those two album covers in living color lying on my mother's bed, as I hammered away, completely drowning out the man I was trying to emulate.

One Friday evening, my mother had some friends over. Maybe six people, at most. I was in the bedroom listening to The Beatles and one of my mother's friends asked if I would play the drums for them. I was terrified. She said, each of them would give me a dollar. It would have been my first paying gig, and $6 to a kid in the 60's was definitely something to shake a stick at...but I refused. $6 bought two LPs back then, but I still couldn't do it. She closed the door and I continued smacking away at "No Reply," albeit a bit more quietly and self-consciously.

Today, Ringo Starr is 80 years old. Every July 7th since 2008, Ringo has asked for a world celebration by requesting that everyone says or thinks "peace & love" at noon. That seems easy enough. Every July 7th, I think of that night in my mother's bedroom, holding out for more money, and refusing to play along to my hero in front of a measley crowd of six.

Almost 60 years later and The Beatles remain in heavy rotation, never sounding anything but fresh and exciting. Timeless, as the cliche goes. It's hard to believe the two living moptops, Paul and Ringo, are 77 and 80, respectively. Seems impossible, really.

Tonight, check your local cable provider, if you happen to be a fan, for an 80th birthday celebration on AXS-TV, beginning at 8PM, E.S.T., and starring the man of honor, Ringo Starr, with a little help from his friends, Paul McCartney, Joe Walsh and a few others that don't really add up, like Jackson Browne and Ben Harper.

Happy Birthday, Mr. Starkey.
Thanks for everything!



 


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

A legend. No need of the best drummer label, Ritchie is in a league of his own.
Listening to I’m happy just to dance with you and those drums will make me have sweet dreams, just like when I was 10.
Roy

Anonymous said...

The thing is, they all "add up". Because the Beatles were/are it.
C in California

Sal Nunziato said...

Good point, C.

Whattawino said...

Love the post, Sal. Happy Birthday Ringo! Will try to find the Rilly Big Shew tonight and just want to add that as a drummer in pandemic mode, I’d take that $6 gig in a heartbeat! I already have Peace and Love on the mental turntable.....I just came in a little too early!

cmealha said...

Wonderful!

Carlos Henrique Xavier Endo said...

Should include "Helter Skelter" of a genius drummer! Love Ringo! One of the four greatest musicians of rock'n'roll.

dogbreath said...

Thanks for sharing that childhood story with us, warm and funny. Our family's first puppy was named Ringo (by me) not long after the old man had taken me to see A Hard Day's Night at the local fleapit. Many happy returns to the man himself. Cheers!

Chris Collins said...

this is such a lovely post. Imagine having a life of 80 years, 60 of them being the recipient of an overwhelming thanks and goodwill from the world over. What a life. Happy birthday Ringo!

Michael Giltz said...

The youngest AND the oldest Beatle, as I learned in the sweet film I Wanna Hold Your Hand. Sal, I'd gladly pay you $6 today to watch you play those two songs on drums.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your words. A Beatle is 80...so odd to hear! But, well, time passes. Ringo's 80? Guess that makes me old, too. (But what did I expect?) Ringo has handled the post-Beatles years with humor, humility, vitality, and grace. He's come to be recognized as the truly skillful and rock-steady drummer he ALWAYS was. And when he sang "Photograph" at that George Harrison memorial, 'twas one of the most moving moments of any of the post-Beatles' careers.