Sunday, March 21, 2021

Songs Of The Week, 2021: 3/13- 3/19

 


Dumb Things- Paul Kelly & the Coloured Girls
When Do I Get To Sing "My Way"- Sparks
Any World (That I'm Welcome To)- Steely Dan
Shoorah! Shoorah!- Betty Wright
Darling Be Home Soon- Jules Shear
Lately I've Let Things Slide- Nick Lowe
Weight Of The World- Ringo Starr

zip

Dumb Things- Paul Kelly & The Coloured Girls
First time I saw Paul Kelly was opening up for Crowded House in 1987. I became a fan instantly. Since then, Kelly has released 422 records. This track is a favorite from an early one.

When Do I Get To Sing "My Way"- Sparks
I had the privilege of seeing "The Sparks Brothers" documentary and I will write about that someday soon. But since then, I've been on a Sparks semi-binge. This is the track I felt like sharing.

Any World (That I'm Welcome To)- Steely Dan
There is a new 1957 Tail-Fin Fiasco album due out this week. I will write about that soon, as well. A few tracks reminded me of "Katy Lied." Here's one from the Dan.

Shoorah! Shoorah!- Betty Wright
I picked up a couple of hundred 45s over the last week or so, including this Allen Toussaint gem performed by Betty Wright. Frankie Miller also covered it. Does anyone know who covered it first? Was it someone before either Betty or Frankie? Sam & Dave tried it in 1974 or 1975. And Toussaint never recorded it. Get back to me.

Darling Be Home Soon- Jules Shear
One of my three favorite Lovin' Spoonful tunes covered by one of my favorite songwriters. And actually, Jules Shear is one of my favorite singers, as well.

Lately I've Let Things Slide- Nick Lowe
Haven't we all?

Weight Of The World- Ringo Starr
There are a lot of bad Ringo albums out there. But there are also a number of very good ones, like "Time Takes Time." This is the lead track and one of the best things Ringo ever released.

7 comments:

Joe said...

Sal,
Shoo-ra was recorded live by Allen Toussaint. It appears on his Complete Warner Recordings. I don't have any idea who else recorded it other that Frankie Miller and Betty Wright.

Sal Nunziato said...

Joe,
Yeah, aware of the live Toussaint. But wondering if the first studio recording was Betty Wright or earlier.

Anonymous said...

Bravo on the Paul Kelly fandom. I was introduced via Gossip, seeking out the double album to get the tracks left off the single CD version released over here, and subsequently checked out the earlier stuff and kept up with the current iterations for quite a while. My li'l dude loved the sublimely gorgeous 'Nukkanya' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn3YyhmAJpo) the first time he heard it, so it's went on the next CD I burned for him.
C in California

A Walk In The Woods said...

Love that Paul Kelly song!

dogbreath said...

Yes, the Nick Lowe song title has been my mantra for some time now as the excuse to practically every question I've been asked. Oh well. Thanks for the zip job. Cheers!

william said...

When I hear Ringo's Weight Of The World I picture it as a modern Beatles track; it is the best song they never did.

Anonymous said...

The Nick Lowe song is one of his greats, and one I'd encourage people to listen to if they prefer his earlier, funnier records.

Caitlin Rose does a nice version on the Lowe Country collection.

Bill